Wireless microphone switch

A bit of background first. Tugboat skipper operating two joysticks (port and starboard propellers) communicates with the harbour pilot using VHF radio; microphone with pushbutton to talk on a flexible rod mounted to the console. This skipper is new and is finding it difficult to keep control of the tug when he lets go of the starboard joystick to talk to the pilot. The joysticks are a combo engine speed and azimuth thruster rotater. ie, the propulsion systems are azimuth thrusters rotating through 360 degrees as do the joystick/hand controllers. I'm thinking or wondering, if it's possible to have a wireless battery powered push button on the joystick so that the skipper can maintain control of the propulsion and still talk easily to the pilot. Appreciate it if any of you more electronically minded than me people have any ideas.

TR.

Reply to
TR

GOOGLE for a 'VOX' circuit (voice-operated relay) - this operates the transmitter as soon as the microphone hears audio. The device will need to be set up to avoid extraneous noises tripping the transmitter, and the skipper will have to learn to avoid cursing...a 'disable' switch may be handy.

I use such a system in my car but with a boom microphone for totally 'hands-free' operation and it works perfectly, but I must refrain from cursing idiots on the highway.

The choice of microphone can deal with the extraneous noise problem to a degree, a 'goose-neck' can be used for the skipper's microphone to get the element near his mouth.

Reply to
clanker

There's most likely a good reason why you can't do this, but what about simply attaching the button to one of the joysticks and connecting it to the radio with a long and slack enough cable that movement isn't impeded? Wireless may work fine, but things like radar pulses could be troublesome and hard to eradicate.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

You can buy a mobile mic which could be strapped on one of the joysticks and would be easy to control the transceiver. Try a ham radio dealer. They are quite common in ham mobile radio installations. I can give you a brand if necessary

Reply to
Ken

Thanks for the reply clanker. We had thought of 'VOX'. But difficult for the skipper, engineer and the deckhand to have general conversation and friendly critisism of the pilot while we're working.

TR.

Reply to
TR

Thanks Ken. The joystick is at waist level. Would the mic pick up voice from the skipper without bending over close to it?

TR.

Reply to
TR

Thanks for your suggestion Bruce. A wired button on the stick would be no good as the stick is as I said rotatable. 360, 720 whatever degrees. However many times the skipper wants to turn it around. A wire would get a bit messy. A sketch here of what we have and need.

TR.

Reply to
TR

Sketch of what I'm talking about.

TR.

Reply to
TR

How about a foot switch?

Keith

Reply to
keithr

However

What about a simple foot switch then?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

A keyfob wireless 433MHz switch may work. Something like Oatley's ones, and use the receiver module relay across the PTT switch on the mic.

swanny

As a matter of fact there is a foot switch. But none of our skippers like using it. They have to keep one foot in the same position all the time. and when manouevering the tugs they like to be moving around about.

TR

Reply to
TR

Thanks swanny, looks like this maybe what might help. I'll look into it.

TR

Reply to
TR

I was about to suggest adding slip rings for the switch but then realised it's a marine environment, and so gave that away.

but how about a switch wired to a loop of wire that runs parallel with the perimeter of the rotating part and then outside and close to that loop of wire you have another loop of wire that's connected to an inductive proximity sensor circuit

push the button and the sensor sees the loop and ebnergises a relay that closes the PTT circuit on the radio.

of-course if the whole thing's made of metal that's not going to work well.

Reply to
Jasen Betts