A bit of a Rubik's cube to figure out switch wiring.

I have a mill that has FWD and REV. The switch quit working and I disassembled it, that was a mistake! It is a 4 section DPDT (?) switch and has 12 compression springs, 8 moving contacts, and 4 cams. Anyway, I 'THINK' I now have I have the wiring figured out so I can reassemble the switch. Here is a diagram of the switch arrangement with jumpers and a sort of truth table, that says what wires need to be connected for what direction. Can someone confirm my diagram does what I think it does, before I go about the tedious and frustrating job of trying to reassemble the switch?

Thanks for your time, Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

That wiring makes sense for a parallel motor, You have "light" and "dark" transposed in your textual descriptions vs illustrations.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks for looking, I think the transposed description was only in the reverse position illustration. I have corrected it and reposted the newer version here. Does this look correct? Thanks, Mikek

Lamont Cranston

Looks good, provided you make the physical wiring match the schematic you have drawn. You can test the switch before installation. First, a different diagram:

.1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8 black topside contacts

16.15.14.13.12.11.10..9 red bottom side contacts

Each number represents a specific contact on the physical switch. Now, with the switch in the *REVERSE* position, you can use your ohm meter to ring out the switch. You should get:

1 to 16 open, 2 to 15 closed, 3 to 14 open, 4 to 13 closed 5 to 12 closed, 6 to 11 open, 7 to 10 closed, 8 to 9 open

The switch in forward will be the reverse of the above.

All of that didn't say anything different that what you drew - just another way of looking at it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yep, did the 3 hour job of putting all together and it doesn't pass any ohm meter testing as you suggest. I can see two contacts I installed backwards. 87.5%, I got a B, unfortunately that's not helpful in electrical wiring! I learned a lot the first assembly, the second will be a little easier. Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Calvin Coolidge Quotes Background Next Quote

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Calvin Coolidge

From

Dean Hoffman

While all that is true, I have a replacement part on order, 4 to 7 weeks from China, only $19. However I am not the only person with this problem, if I can get mine working, the info I can provide will make it easier for others. After all this, I think the real problem is the knob has a hexagonal hole going on a hexagonal shaft, and it rotated on the shaft, it felt like a detent, but the shaft didn't rotate and the machine didn't start. Figured that out after the disassembly. Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

I got the switch all back together for the second time, all the proper contacts close in the position they should. I put all 10 jumpers wires on it and retested to make sure Line went where it should in forward and reverse and the same with neutral. I installed the switch back on the mill and it works correctly, FWD and REV are even correct. Thanks for the input, Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Great! Thanks for posting the good result. Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

See post #26,

Mikek

PS, no idea what happened to bradybroussard, who started that post, tried to help him out, but no response.

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Nice write up. That was some bear of a job! Ed

Reply to
ehsjr