One switch, two circuits

I've got a spring-loaded switch, such that you press and release it and the curcuit is closed and then opened again. What I'd like to do is have it alternate between two circuits. In other words, the first time you press it, circuit A is closed (and opened), the second time you press it, circuit B is controlled, then it goes back to A, etc. Is there some kind of simple circuitry I can buy at the electronics store that will allow me to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DCY

Looks to me that you would need to AND the switch with the output of a FLIPFLOP and clock the FLIPFLOP with the release of the switch. This would also require that the switch be debounced to provide stable clocking.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What are you switching (eg how many Volts & Amps)?

Is there a power source available at the switch location?

Any size constraints?

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks. I'm a computer programmer, and don't know a whole lot about electronics. I ended up getting a microcontroller so I could just program it to do what I needed. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
DCYorke

Simply attach it to the clock input of a JK flip-flop, and drive your load from the output of the flop. Just be sure to debounce the switch using an RC circuit of sufficient time constant beforehand.

Half of an SN7476 should be able to do the job for you.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314