What is the powder inside mains leads ?

Hi Guys,

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm curious; what exactly is the
powder between insulation of the outer sheath and the inner conductors
in a mains power lead?  I'm talking about the stuff that gets
everywhere when you strip a lead to replace a power plug or socket.
Its inside every Australian appliance and extension lead I've ever
worked on.

Thanks for your help.

DJP

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

"DJP"

**  Looks like talcum powder to me.

  Not scented though.

 Simply acts as a dry lubricant to make the cable coil and handle nicely.

** Nothing like all of them -  IME.

........   Phil

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

French chalk, which is a variety of talc used a dry lubricant.  Also
found on new pushbike tubes (or at least it was back in the dim dark
ages when I last owned one).

--
John H

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

Just curious Bob - why would you, or anyone else, want to hold a stripped
cable in your mouth?  Shocking thing to do

David

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

God only gave us 2 hands, and sometimes we need to hold 3 things at once.

John

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

As far as I know, the old (circa 1970s)Telecom telephone cables had
some sort of rodenticide in them. A mate of mine fell reaaly ill after
using the cable for projects, he always used to strip the copper
strands of their insulation with his teeth.

- Rob.

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

French chalk,  that's a technical term for unscented talc.
It's often used as a lubricant (by lubricating it makes the
cables more flexible)

chemically it's fine grained calcium carbonate powder
non toxic, non allergeric, basically harmless.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

Talc is actually hydrated magnesium silicate.

Re: What is the powder inside mains leads ?

**  The kiwi NG plagiarist strikes again .......

** ROTFL   !!!

French Chalk   =   Talc  !!

Wonder many " French letters "  this  "jasen " cretin has read  ???

.......   Phil

Site Timeline