What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power? - Page 9

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Good. I accept your admission that you are wrong.

, but as revs increase the torque tapers off to nothing making them

**Bollocks. Electric motors are quite unlike IC motors, in that maximum
torque is generated at zero RPM and continues all the way to maximum,
with virtually no fall-off.

Here's a new Audi:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

4,500Nm or torque seems like quite a bit to me. Not enough for you?

The figure seems over-stated to me. 450Nm sound closer to reality.
Still, that's plenty of torque for pulling the skin off a rice pudding.

**I suggest you do some learning about electric motors. In any case, I
was simply addressing your claim:

"Then there is the fact that an electric car can't pull the skin off a
custard."

Do you now resile from that fact?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Electric/hybrids don't get old before they get economically unviable to keep
on the road.

I'm not wrong. They can't pull the skin off a custard, and that remains a
fact.

Pigs arse.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

They can't even get their claims right, but you lap them up regardless.
Show me an electric car that can tow anything... I won't hold my breath.

I suggest you learn something about electric motors.

It remains as stated. Show me an electric car that can tow anything... I'm
waiting.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVZbqripkaI

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

That's a truck, not a car.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

So put in a BIGGER ELECTRIC ENGINE??

what a great idea!  A 4 Cylinder Car Engine is already 20X the size of
the compressor motor in your Air Conditioner.

You need a $10,000 BATTERY STACK to run an air-conditioner for 24
hours.

I just bought 2 $599  Batteries to charge off solar,  THEY'RE 100KG
for those 2!

They won't run a small pressure hose more than 2 hours!

******

Listen, I know the Electric Car dream is a great idea...  but it's a
disappointment.

It's as disappointing to you as the Telomeraze Research PR was to me..
it's only prematurely aged (Telomeraze deficient) mice that
regenerated young again when given Telomeraze)

******

There's no production electric cars BECAUSE OF THE BATTERY!

They're hybrid so you can generate the massive power to charge the
battery!

The concept cars all cheat!  They have a boot full of lithium cells.

And the Hybrid model is double redundant to start with!

You can't drive Brisbane to Perth using 'BRAKING ENERGY"

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Not really, they are basicaly ICE cars with a battery smoother.

If you really want an electric car, then you need the gnerator running
at optimum/most efficent ICE speed powering the generation part into the
battery pack, from which the electric wheel motors are driven. Cust fuel
consumption by about 50% suppossedly.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

I think we're in agreement, the battery is nowhere near capacity to
run in electric mode independently.

More of a capacitor.   Like the Wright Brother first "plane".

Some models are using solar cells on the roof so it doesn't kick in
the petrol engine every time you switch the car's air conditioner on!

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Tow with a H2 Car.

Zip around in Dune Buggy size electrics to do the shopping!

Win Win!

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Unless you're run off the road or hit by an 8000 lb SUV or truck.

If all city streets were policed to have nothing exceeding 2000 lb
verticals, then the golf-carts or that of your " Dune Buggy size
electrics" should be perfectly fine and dandy.  Otherwise being energy
efficient and dead at the same time seems a little counter productive.

People could learn to walk and/or bike a few miles, exactly like many
of us did as kids and young adults.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Bingo!  I've stated this 4 times in the thread already.

The Govt. has to level the field, you can't have a Volvo head on with
the Lean Machine!

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6404-GM-Lean-Machine.html

80% of car usage is <50KM a day at 50km/hour.

You're designing 2 different applications for 1 car families.

You have to section off Central Metropolis for Electric Only.

The computer drivers won't crash by then, they'll all be bumper car
safe anyway.

All the roads are too narrow in cities anyway, these problems have to
be addressed!

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

A proper hybrid fuel-cell w/lithium or HP battery, and offering the HTP
+hydrocarbon direct combustion turbine for the full-sized car, SUV or
maximum 4WD truck shouldn't be a problem at packing a tonne of payload
plus delivering loads of energy on demand, and otherwise capable of
giving us 100+ mpg out of that spendy hydrocarbon fuel.

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

Fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs)
Main articles: Fuel cell vehicle, Hydrogen vehicle

Automobiles
Although there are currently no Fuel cell vehicles available for
commercial sale, over 20 FCEVs prototypes and demonstration cars have
been released since 2009. Demonstration models include the Honda FCX
Clarity, Toyota FCHV-adv, and Mercedes-Benz F-Cell.[61] As of June
2011 demonstration FCEVs had driven more than 4,800,000 km (3,000,000
mi), with more than 27,000 refuelings.[62] Demonstration fuel cell
vehicles have been produced with "a driving range of more than 400 km
(250 mi) between refueling".[63] They can be refueled in less than 5
minutes.[64] The U.S. Department of Energy's Fuel Cell Technology
Program claims that, as of 2011, fuel cells achieved 5396%59% efficiency
at BC% power and 4296%53% vehicle efficiency at full power,[65] and a
durability of over 120,000 km (75,000 mi) with less than 10%
degradation

Sounds better than a battery!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Fuelcell.jpg/250px =
-Fuelcell.jpg

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Actually a battery that's using 50% hydrogen peroxide is simply
another terrific notion to go along with Mokenergy synfuel from coal,
or just to directly utilize his solar generated hydrogen and oxygen
which can't be all that insurmountable nor spendy if we truly wanted
to develop the cleaner alternatives of renewable energy.

Extremely high pressure storage tanks for automotive hydrogen are
doable, although the next logical step down is to simply provide HTP
which is a liquid that can be directly used by itself or along with a
small amount of hydrocarbons in a dual-fuel engine that requires no
atmospheric intake whatsoever, and offers a clean exhaust that we can
all live with.

A hydrogen plus HTP and synfuel from coal based economy, along with
quality fuel-cell technology and dual-fuel internal combustion engines
is a perfectly good plan, even if it's not for everyone.

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

I've got this bridge you might be interested in buying...

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Just because you don't know how to create an unlimited supply of H2,
O2 and HTP from sunlight is not my problem.

 http://groups.google.com/groups/search
 http://translate.google.com /#
 Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/94%Guth Venus94%

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

**Prove it.

**Accelerating 1.2 Tonne of automobile from rest to 100kph in 3.7
seconds _IS_ serious torque. I also note that a video has been posted
showing just how well an electric motor can deliver pulling power. I
would also point you towards the reasons why all powerful locomotives
are Diesel/electric. The Diesel is used to gerate electricity, which is,
in turn, used to power electric motors to tow railway carriages.

**Nope. Fact. Note the torque figures for the Tesla:

http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/specs

273 lb-ft at 0 - 5,400 RPM. That's the beauty of electric motors - a
flat torque curve. It means an electric vehicle can be used without a
gearbox.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

**That is not the fault of Audi. Just the idiot who wrote the article.

  but you lap them up regardless.

**I note that Gordon has done just that.

**What do you suggest I should learn?

**See Gordon's post.

Do you now resile from your nonsensical claims?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Show me an electric car that can tow anything 100 km, every day for 3
months!

100KW X 1 HOUR X 100 RECHARGES

My Gel Cell stack would have to be
  1000W 1 HOUR 3D% 50KG
  100KW 1 HOUR 3D% 5,000 KG

and would only make 50KM by the 100th trip and then you throw away the
$60,000 5 tonne batteries!

Herc

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

In a diesel electric locomotive, the electric part is just the
transmission. It is simply used so that the diesel can run at a constant
speed for maximum efficiency. There are/have been diesel hydraulic
locomotives where the hydraulics did the same job as the generator and
motor in the diesel electric, but they needed more maintenance.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

Trevor buys into hype a little too readily.

Re: What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421738/audi-r8-e-tron-officially-unveiled-with-4500nm-of-torque-video

We were talking about cars, you know, vehicles designed to carry passengers.

A couple of minutes towing a load on the back of an electric truck might
impress you, but unless it can do that at speed for a couple of hours it's
just propaganda.

Site Timeline