What happens when solar power is cheaper than grid power?

It's a dumb question. The inference is that one day, solar will become 'cheaper' so everyone will switch over. But things become cheaper when people *don't* want them as well as when there's an abundant supply. The situation already exists in places like Europe, where green generators are having to flog their power at knockdown prices because of the large supply variance.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Electric/hybrids don't get old before they get economically unviable to keep on the road.

I'm not wrong. They can't pull the skin off a custard, and that remains a fact.

Pigs arse.

They can't even get their claims right, but you lap them up regardless. Show me an electric car that can tow anything... I won't hold my breath.

I suggest you learn something about electric motors.

It remains as stated. Show me an electric car that can tow anything... I'm waiting.

Reply to
Clocky

Though there's a difference. If green generators are having to sell power at knockdown prices, it's because they cannot externalise the cost of the variance - the market factors it into the price.

With domestic PV cells, and with anything like the current way things are regulated, consumers ARE able to to externalise the cost of the variance - they get to force the retailer to buy power from them at a price determined by the government for political reasons, and with the variance not taken into account.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Reply to
Gordon Levi

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:36:00 -0700 (PDT), the following appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Graham Cooper :

Only if the oxidizer is pure O2. If the hydrogen burns in air there are quite a few byproducts, mainly nitrogen compounds; high combustion temperatures guarantee it.

--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
                          - McNameless
Reply to
Bob Casanova

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 19:43:55 -0700 (PDT), the following appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Graham Cooper :

So? Learn a bit of chemistry; Wiki isn't a comprehensive source.

--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
                          - McNameless
Reply to
Bob Casanova

es

What is the Toxicity of the Nitrous compounds. It's a secondary reaction not even worth a mention in the list of hurdles.

Electrolysis produces Oxygen at the same rate as Hydrogen needed to recombine.

Even if it was an issue, it's not an issue.

You can whine till the cows come home, around about the same time as your lithium battery cars come through the driveway, cars are going Hydrogen, simple fact!

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

So put in a BIGGER ELECTRIC ENGINE??

what a great idea! A 4 Cylinder Car Engine is already 20X the size of the compressor motor in your Air Conditioner.

You need a $10,000 BATTERY STACK to run an air-conditioner for 24 hours.

I just bought 2 $599 Batteries to charge off solar, THEY'RE 100KG for those 2!

They won't run a small pressure hose more than 2 hours!

******

Listen, I know the Electric Car dream is a great idea... but it's a disappointment.

It's as disappointing to you as the Telomeraze Research PR was to me.. it's only prematurely aged (Telomeraze deficient) mice that regenerated young again when given Telomeraze)

******

There's no production electric cars BECAUSE OF THE BATTERY!

They're hybrid so you can generate the massive power to charge the battery!

The concept cars all cheat! They have a boot full of lithium cells.

And the Hybrid model is double redundant to start with!

You can't drive Brisbane to Perth using 'BRAKING ENERGY"

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

Tow with a H2 Car.

Zip around in Dune Buggy size electrics to do the shopping!

Win Win!

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

**Prove it.

**Accelerating 1.2 Tonne of automobile from rest to 100kph in 3.7 seconds _IS_ serious torque. I also note that a video has been posted showing just how well an electric motor can deliver pulling power. I would also point you towards the reasons why all powerful locomotives are Diesel/electric. The Diesel is used to gerate electricity, which is, in turn, used to power electric motors to tow railway carriages.
**Nope. Fact. Note the torque figures for the Tesla:

273 lb-ft at 0 - 5,400 RPM. That's the beauty of electric motors - a flat torque curve. It means an electric vehicle can be used without a gearbox.

**That is not the fault of Audi. Just the idiot who wrote the article.

but you lap them up regardless.

**I note that Gordon has done just that.
**What do you suggest I should learn?
**See Gordon's post.

Do you now resile from your nonsensical claims?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

keep

.
.

I'm

Show me an electric car that can tow anything 100 km, every day for 3 months!

100KW X 1 HOUR X 100 RECHARGES

My Gel Cell stack would have to be 1000W 1 HOUR =3D 50KG 100KW 1 HOUR =3D 5,000 KG

and would only make 50KM by the 100th trip and then you throw away the $60,000 5 tonne batteries!

Herc

Reply to
Graham Cooper

**The problem is that there will not be a linear relationship of petrol price rises over time. There are many factors in play. Petrol may languish at present levels for some years. Or it could go through the roof next month. I certainly cannot predict it.
**People are funny (in a weird way). When petrol cracked the $1.00/Litre mark, the sales of large 4WDs plummetted and the sales of economical cars boomed. Recently, thanks in part to the strength of the AUssie Dollar, petrol prices have been depressed. 4WD sales are booming again. It will not always be like this. Eventually, petrol prices will trend up and people will start looking for more economical vehicles. The choice may not be logical. IOW: A purchaser may opt for a (say) Holden Volt, not because it will be a viable economical alternative, but because it uses less fuel. That is human nature.

With specific reference to the Blue Motion, I should point out a few issues:

  • It is available in a manual transmission only. That is not likely to concern you or me, but people like my 84 year old mother would be bothered.
  • The claimed fuel consumption figures for the Golf are not stop-start motoring ones. In this area, electric and hybrids may offer superior results. For long distances, at constant speeds, a straight Diesel may be the best choice. This is not necessarily the case for Sydney traffic, nor for those who drop the kids off to school each day. IC engines (particularly Deisels) do not operate at optimum efficiency until the engine is warm. Electric motors operate at maximum efficiency when cool.

BTW: I do not hold the Volt up as the ultimate solution to an alternative powered vehicle. It is simply ONE possible solution. As I have stated before, a small Deisel/electric vehicle makes more sense IMO. VW's experience in this area would suggest an impressive result.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Perhaps it's not, but an engine that emits oxides of nitrogen cannot reasobably be called clean, which is what you did.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

ve.

That's it, in a nutshell. All of Graham's huge profits are a product of sqrt(-1).

I've bought a house with only a few thousand in cash. If you really had that income, you could have bought a house long ago, got a 10 year mortgage on it, and be well on your way to financial independence. Instead, you live in a shed, crap in one corner of it, shower with a hose a few feet away, and dream of the day you move into a cheap trailer. That's both very sad and a bit hilarious.

=A0 4,199.89

=A03,703.81

=A03,982.23

=A04,384.35

Well, at least not until you start paying the $30/day you owe them.

Keep dreaming. If you work very, very hard, you could get a window A/ C unit in your shed, and post videos of yourself flying your toy helicopter between the A/C unit and the ravine next door where you hide the bodies.

Reply to
BruceS

Oxides of nitrogen are a constituant of smog and it would violate the smog laws for most, if not all, US states without heroic effort to minimize the emmisions.

Reply to
jimp

Not really, they are basicaly ICE cars with a battery smoother.

If you really want an electric car, then you need the gnerator running at optimum/most efficent ICE speed powering the generation part into the battery pack, from which the electric wheel motors are driven. Cust fuel consumption by about 50% suppossedly.

Reply to
terryc

You can now buy 4WD from $25k instead of $50-80K.

Reply to
terryc

Hybrids are too expensive to compete unless the price of petrol goes way above the present level, look at Europe and Japan where petrol is double the Australian price, Europe is full of diesels and Japan is full of small capacity petrol engined cars, Hybrids and electric vehicles have made little inroads despite the high cost of petrol.

At the headquarters of my employer in the US, they use hybrid vehicles as shuttles around the campus, but I think that it is more of a gesture than a sound economic move.

No reason (apart from cost) that cars of this class cannot be fitted with a modern efficient auto gearbox. Modern engines warm up fast, the ECU changes the mixture and timing to promote this, my Forrester (a not particularly frugal car) is up to working temperature not much more than

500 metres after backing out of the drive.

I am not totally convinced by some of the technology used in this type of vehicle. Stopping the engine when you come to a halt for instance is fine when you stop at the traffic lights, but how does it hold up when you are trying to turn right across heavy oncoming traffic?

Another cost consideration with electric or hybrid vehicles is the lifetime of the Lion batteries, they are very expensive, and, as any laptop owner knows, their capacity diminishes with use. This is exacerbated by high ambient temperatures such as we experience in Australia.

Reply to
keithr

That depends on what you call a 4WD, the $25K ones are road cars with and extra bit of transmission and jacked up suspension. I wouldn't take my Forrester seriously bush bashing, that's what Troopies are for and they don't come at that price.

Reply to
keithr

Err, superroos come at a high price then that. Bush bashing is what you do in old utes out shooting. and the price of troopies illustrates my point exactly.

Reply to
terryc