Weather station

I hope I have the right group as I have no idea where I could post this
question.

I was interested in building a weather station with a thermometer,
barometer, rain gauge etc.

I was interested in building some sort of a connection from this station
which would be outdoors to my computer where the results could be tabulated
into graphs for each day of the year.

I would eventually hope that this info could be displayed on a website and
automatically updated every 10 minutes.

I know nothing about electronics, if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestions

Tom

Re: Weather station

"Tom"

**  Then you had better find someone who can build the electronics for you.

Silicon Chip magazine published a " Solar Powered Wireless Weather Station "
project in December 2004 -   aka Picaxe Weather Station.

Had temp and humidity only.

Use a radio modem or send data to a PC.

.........  Phil

Re: Weather station

Why re-invent the wheel? It's already being done by the govmnt.

Re: Weather station

"two bob"

** Huh ?

 What government invented the wheel ?

.........  Phil

Re: Weather station

Why does every ng have more than it's fair share of clowns. After all this
is a ng not a bloody circus

Chief Clowns

Why does every ng have more than it's fair share of clowns. After all this
is a ng not a bloody circus

****Well you could have fooled me!!! I thought you must have been the chief
clown given that your statement above is utterly unambiguous (and has
atrocious spelling) and yet here you are lampooning a perfectly valid
response!
Ironic,is it not?

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Chief Clowns

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:42:13 GMT, "Brian Goldsmith"

Hmmmm, Ironic,is it not?

Re: Weather station

"two bob"

**  Every NG has more than it fair share of many things.

**  OK  -   but it does come quite close to meeting the famous  " PT  Barnum
Criterion "  re the time interval that elapses between one wanker posting a
pile of completely inane drivel and the next.

 I can see you are doing your little bit to make old PT happy.

........   Phil

Re: Weather station

You misunderstood him- the gov'mnt re-invented the wheel. :-)

Ken

Re: Weather station

Internet connected Personal Weather Stations are getting popular,
apparently fairly trivial to connect to other weather stations out
there and websites like Weatherunderground, so you can share with
everyone.
This is a good place to start for info:
http://www.weatherunderground.com/weatherstation/index.asp

This guy for example has one in Woodford in the Blue Mountains:
http://www.weatherunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=INSWWOOD1

You can see all the ones around a local region at the bottom of the
weatherzone site, like Sydney:
http://www.weatherunderground.com/global/stations/94767.html

Dave :)

Re: Weather station

If you're really serious you'll also need a hygrometer, an anemometer
and possibly a radiometer and UV sensor.

Then you'll also need a data logger and appropriate software.

Mine does all that, straight out of the box.  :)

In which case there's probably far more rewarding electronic projects
to cut your teeth on, particularly given the vast number of automatic
weather stations already available at very competitive prices -- and
far cheaper than the basic components needed for a DIY job.
The economics would probably be similar to building your own TV set vs
a bought one.

Mine's a wireless Davis Vantage Pro, which costs around $1,100,
complete with data logger and software, but you can also get other
brands with similar features, but not necessarily the durablity and
accuracy, from around $400 (La Crosse is a popular one).  Davis, also
offer much cheaper models if you don't want all the features up front.
Quality is uniform throughout their range.

Ecowatch, at Kilsyth, Vic, will supply a catalogue and price list on
request.  AFAIK they don't have a website

The weather newgroups are... alt.talk.weather...
sci.geo.meteorology... uk.sci.weather

Personal weather stations are a regular topic on all of them.  The UK
NG is the most active.

--
John H

Re: Weather station

I just purchased one from Dick Smith. A friend by the name of Andy Keir
writes software for a few models, including the one I use so do a google
search on his name for his website or Davis is a well known company that
makes them as well.

Re: Weather station

"Tsunami Australia"

**  Cool:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43941db701449bf62740c0a87f9c072e/Product/View/Y5195

Only a mere  $ 725 inc.

........   Phil

Re: Weather station

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43941db701449bf62740c0a87f9c072e/Product/View/Y5195

I got an old Oregon Scientific WM918 when they were available for just
over $400 which has the computer connection and all the info needed for
the tables and graphing. I'm not sure if the new u-beaut wireless one
has a computer uplink ability though.

Re: Weather station

If you consider buying rather than building then Ecosolutions :
http://www.ecosolutions.com.au/ do one for ~$479+gst.

Has wireless link to Wind dir / speed / temp / rh / rainfall instruments.
Touchscreen LCD control / readout / logger unit.

S/w included for PC connection - has some weather prediction tools.

I haven't seen one, just heard about them.

rob

tabulated

Re: Weather station

If you are in australia, www.bom.gov.au seems to do the trick. Failing
that, i think you can even dial into the bom, or at least you used to
be able too.

If you want to get real tricky, try this place
http://www.clevelandweather.net/ cause he does all you want, why i
dont know, but whatever turns you on..

Site Timeline