Dropped my 36" Vega, no I have picture problems

When moving into my new place, my 250lb 36" Sony Wega XBR slipped out of my hand and dropped a couple of feet. When it hit it made a soft sound like crushing plastic or something...definitely crunchy. Anyway, the TV powers on fine, and the picture is good except for the fact that the image bows or dips from the top to bottom on the right edge of the screen. It's particularly noticeable when viewing letterbox content where the bottom of the picture is lower on the right side than on the left. Does anyone have any idea what part I broke, and more importantly, what it would cost to fix it? I haven't had to repair a TV in years, do most places send a technician out, or am I now looking at transporting this monster to a repair shop?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
tcovey

On Jul 23, 6:06 pm, tcovey wrote: Does anyone have any idea what part I

you're probably looking at transporting this monster to the dump (unless you can live with the distortion). From the symptoms and with the knowledge of what happened, 99% cert that tube is impact-damaged.

-B

There may be nothing at all wrong with the set. Is there a tilt adjustment in the menu (almost all large TVs have one)? After moving a large TV to a different location, the earth's magnetic field can cause the picture to tilt noticeably.

If the picture shows no discoloration, then it may be as simple as a shifted deflection yoke. This would be a relatively simple repair. If there are wrong colored areas in the picture, then the CRT is probably damaged.

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe