Stay away from HP stuff - Page 2

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I'd second that driver issue...

The software couldn't auto detect the network printer, no even given the MAC
address.  After I hard coded the IP, I had to move the printer to the other
side of the
office.  When I plugged the net cable back into the very same switch, all
the
system were again unable to detect the printer.

I had to uninstall and reinstall their bloatware, taking some 35 minutes
each.
Who the hell wants a driver that requires .NET to be installed anyway?

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

But the manufacturer's attitude is a good reason to avoid their products, it
stands to reason that they don't want to upset lucrative corporate clients,
but from what I'm increasingly hearing HP's attitude to the average Joe -
"we've got your money - now piss off"!

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

1. Do not mix professional and consumer grade products. Consumer grade is
MUCH WORSE!

2. I am not complaining about a faulty printer. If that was the case, HP
would replace/repair it and I would not complain. Things do break doewn.
However I am complaining about poor written software, HP unwilling to help
customer and incompetence of support stuff. Having brand new printer not
working and manufacturer not being able to do anything for weeks is
unacceptable! It took over a month before I got a refund (and a lot of time
spent on phone with HP support in India). Now I have cheaper Samsung and it
actually works, so I am happy.
I just know that if I or any of my customer will have problem with HP gear,
HP is very uncooperative and customer service is virtually non-existent.

Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

We use both. When you have a few 1000 printers, consumer crap makes a
big difference to your capex.

I would bet if you had a problem with your Samsung the support would
be no better than HP.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

Actually, I called Samsung for "pre-sales support" (I needed to sort out few
things not mentioned on web site).
I got to someone who can actually speak Engslish and they made sense.

But product works and I am hapy.

Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I have found HP's support (especially phone support) to be better than
any other large IT supplier. I have had trouble at times getting the
same from Acer before but I know people who swear by them. As for
poorly written things, their printed literature (HP's) can be a little
on the pathetic side sometimes.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

As a HP technician, I can tell you you're just unlucky, perhaps this one was
just a lemon. There are thousands out there working flawlessly day in day
out. With the most common problem comming from people, as usual, feeding
paper with wet liquid paper thru the scanner, and wondering why everything
thereafter scanned has black lines down the copy.

If you were in perth, id of been happy to take a look at it for you, outside
of business hours, at no cost.

| Hi, all
|
| Just a bit of warning.
| I used to think HP was good, until recently. Bought myself all-on-one
| LaserJet 3050. Well, given all my experience I could not get the printer
| work reliable. Would print one page and the "document failed to print".
| Comms to PC is completely broken. I will not go into too much details, but
| HP software sucks big time.
| Tried obvious things -- new drivers, formware update, etc. At some stage
| playing with drivers, wonderful HP software killed all printing support to
| the point I had to re-install Windows. Nothing helps.
|
| Anyway, tried to talk to HP and here is where fun began. ALL HP technical
| support is in India. I mean ALL of it. Nobody in Australia at all. Only
| people who do hardware repair and they are not involved in software at
all.
| Bad quality of phone line and wonderful Indian accent you can barely
| understand and no authority to decide on anything. Nothing but a bunch of
| trained monkeys! (this is not a racial remark, but rather the way of
| describing HP technical support level of confidence).
| After almost 4 weeks of frustratuion I finally managed to get
authorisation
| to return the unit for a refund. Gave it back yesterday and money should
| arrive in about a week or so.
|
| Got myself a similar functionality Samsung and it actually works.
|
| Anyway, think twice before getting an HP. If it works, you are in luck. If
| it does not you are on your own.
|
| Hope it will save someone lots of time.
| Regards,
| Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I am in Perth, and I had the misfortune to have a problem with a 5L.  The HP
people at O.P. sent me to some dodgy ppl in Main St - not where you work(ed) I
hope - who tested it and determined it needed a new formatter.

I took it home and cursed it a few times, and it suddenly worked fine again.

Maybe I know magic curses they didn't, but it left me with a distinctly bad
impression of the HP support chain.  That and faulty inkjet carts which die with
80% ink left.

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

How many HP Officejet 5110 are out there working flawlessly ?
was
outside
but
technical
of
If

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

I repeteadly offered HP "tech support" to take printer and my PC to their
repair center. The standard answer was -- they will not be able to deal with
software/drivers issues. I've been told that they can not even upgrade
firmware on printer (which I find quite bizzare). I offered it number of
times and got same responce.

Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

many low-end HPs don't store significant firmware and have only a mask-rom
bootloader.

the "firmware" is sent from the PC before printing can commence
--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

This is a more complex all-in-one laser printer/fax/scanner/copier. It has
to have some sort of intelligence.

BTW, uploading latest firmware did not help anyway.

Rudolf

Re: Stay away from HP stuff

Why, would it print poor grammar ?

geoff