HP 1722A

A guy clearing out his deceased father-in-law's basement let me have an HP

1722A oscilloscope. It powers up, and responds to signals. I haven't tested all the functions, but the basic stuff works. I'm thinking of selling it. How much is a working 1722A worth?
Reply to
Michael Robinson

Not a lot. On eBay, probably $150 if it's in good shape.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Below is a link to a 1974 HP Journal that will give you the skinny on the 1722A's far out capabilities. Catch you on the flip side.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There was only one offered on eBay since January and it's an HP1722B. Note the mangled vertical gain knobs and shafts on both channels. Also the broken "foot" on the back (where the power cord is wrapped). They were asking $195 plus $52.25 shipping (ouch) and it didn't sell.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I remember shirts like that.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Here is a free PDF of the service manual:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Such shirts are still being sold:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I still have two functional 1725As. The problem is those old scopes have hybrids in them. You need a spare scope to keep them going.

Actually I bought one working 1725A years ago. I found a cheap junker for parts. My junker ended up supplying parts for someone elses 1725A. [Gratis on my part because I'm just sooo nice.] So when the person wanted to get rid of that 1725, I figured I better buy it since it had all my parts in it anyway. Plus having a spare functional 1725A kept the other scope scared shitless of being a parts scope, and then it never quit.

But I think I paid $100 15 years ago. Today you would be far better off just putting the money into a Rigol than getting a 70's era HP scope.

I've turned down working Tek 7904s with all the plugins for $150. And that was with the cart included. [You need the cart for those boat anchors.]

But the 1722 is like the 1725 in that they are reasonably high bandwidth. Sometimes it is nice to have an analog scope as a sanity check.

The delayed sweep is kind of funky on those old HP scopes. They weren't particularly popular when they were new. The trigger was much maligned, but I never found it to be as horrible as some stated.

Reply to
miso

High praise indeed!

--

Rick
Reply to

Well, the Tek scopes of that era were a bit better on the trigger. But the talk around the water cooler was the HP scopes didn't work at all, and that wasn't the case.

The Tek 465 was basically the workhorse at the time. Or at least the 400 series. I may not have the exact timeline, but the 465 was a late 70's scope.

Reply to
miso

275 MHz scope with interesting delayed sweep trigger is interesting.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

1974 dress code. I also had white bellbottoms, wide belt with hippie engraving, and platform shoes.
Reply to
Richard Henry

I had a white jumpsuit with space for a diaper and every women smiled to me instantly :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Early 70s I think -- of course, they would've had more market share and better prices by the latter end. My 475 for instance is dated 1973 or so (465 of course predates it by a couple).

Tim

-- Deep Friar: a very philos>> >>> but I never found it to be as horrible as some stated.

Reply to
Tim Williams

The last decent HP scope was the 130C.

To HP, "trigger" was a horse.

It has been downhill forever after.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

that documents goes on about BASIC timesharing computer systems.

the competition between HP and GE must have been quite fierce.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Now that is funny. I must agree.

tm

Reply to
tm

Until about 10 years ago, when Agilent figured out how to make scopes and Tek figured out how to make spectrum analyzers at roughly the same time. Check out the Infiniium series--they're very swoopy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs