best suited technology for fast data switches

Hello newsgroup, in the context of my diploma I must make an evaluation, which technology is best suited for integrated circuits for network switches at 5 - 10 Gigabit /s. Thereby the speed and power dissipation are decisive, since the integrated circuit will be accomodated in a non-ventilated housing. Because of cost issues I thought about Si material, so far. Are there reasons why other technologies such as SiGe or some from the III-V group would be better? As I said, power dissipation per Gigabit /s is crucial. Thank you very much for your answers in advance. I hope not to meet with overwhelming criticism only because I am a woman ;) Regards Anke

Reply to
Anke