Re: Fry's Electronics

With a name like "Fry's" for an electronics store, it would not instill great
confidence in me as to the quality of the goods available - at least, no more so
than a DSE megastore :-)

Re: Fry's Electronics
so

   'Fry' is the last name of the owners.  They used to own a chain of
grocery stores.

prove it.
Re: Fry's Electronics

I'm pretty sure they still operate the grocery stores in California....

Re: Fry's Electronics

Let us know some more details sometime...

David

Re: Fry's Electronics

I like it! I'd buy one. of course the wife wouldnt let me wear it - and
I dont wear a watch. but its cool.

I went to a Frys in Santa Clara. they had a total of 3 books on
electronics, allocated a single 3' shelf. truckloads on computer stuff.
but still fun. I bought a 500gb usb/firewire external HD for US$99.

and got a photo of me standing next to an original Varian Brothers Klystron

Cheers
Terry

Re: Fry's Electronics

The German version of DSE is Conrad www.conrad.de worth a look !!!
They are not as big as Fry's, but they stick mainly to electronics - i.e. they
don't
sell white goods. You can buy individual components resistors, ICs etc (without
the
blister pack) from a manned counter. They put the bits in a box which is opened
at the cash register. The Hamburg store is about 10 times bigger than a
DSE Powerhouse, including the usual demo rooms for hifi/car audio etc.
They even have a custom PCB service.
No doubt the yanks will always have bigger and brassier stores but
the krauts seem to cater quite well for the serious electronic hobbyist.

www.conrad.de