Re: Fry's Electronics

With a name like "Fry's" for an electronics store, it would not instill great confidence in me as to the quality of the goods available - at least, no more so than a DSE megastore :-)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

so

'Fry' is the last name of the owners. They used to own a chain of grocery stores.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let us know some more details sometime...

David

Reply to
dmm

I'm pretty sure they still operate the grocery stores in California....

Reply to
Lord Garth

The German version of DSE is Conrad

worth a look !!! They are not as big as Fry's, but they stick mainly to electronics - i.e. they don't sell white goods. You can buy individual components resistors, ICs etc (without the blister pack) from a manned counter. They put the bits in a box which is opened at the cash register. The Hamburg store is about 10 times bigger than a DSE Powerhouse, including the usual demo rooms for hifi/car audio etc. They even have a custom PCB service. No doubt the yanks will always have bigger and brassier stores but the krauts seem to cater quite well for the serious electronic hobbyist.

fritz

I like it! I'd buy one. of course the wife wouldnt let me wear it - and I dont wear a watch. but its cool.

I went to a Frys in Santa Clara. they had a total of 3 books on electronics, allocated a single 3' shelf. truckloads on computer stuff. but still fun. I bought a 500gb usb/firewire external HD for US$99.

and got a photo of me standing next to an original Varian Brothers Klystron

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given