Radiation (?) question

You know how when you move a battery radio close to a electro magnetic /
electro mechanical device, it picks up static and noise? well I recently
bought an exercise machine, and was surprised to find that when I used
it, and was listening to a radio nearby, the radio went 'beserk'! So I
kept moving the radio further away, but was still getting the
interference. So I checked to see how far it would need to be removed to
avoid interference, and was surprised to discover that it was still
picking up static and noise from the exercise machine several rooms
away! I then took it outside to a distance of about 15 metres and it was
still getting interference! My question is.. what does this signify or
indicate? Does it mean that the machine is harmful to health in some
way? My experience has always been that moving a radio away from
electronic devices by just one to a few meters will cause the
interference to cease. and since the radio is battery operated, it
cannot be picking up interference via the mains. ???. Thanks for any help.

This is the machine.. http://tinyurl.com/home-exercise-gym

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Radiation (?) question

"felix_unger"

** Looks like it has a brush motor like a vacuum cleaner  -  so there is
arcing on the commutator.

    Arcing produces local RFI.

....   Phil

Re: Radiation (?) question

Can you take it back it is illegal creating interferance to
transmisions.
There are noise suppresion filters which plug between power point and
device $$
http://tinyurl.com/6uke943

Re: Radiation (?) question

"Petzl"

** Bullshit it is.

The machine has  C-Tick approval so whatever EMI it generates is within the
allowed limit.

Noise on the AM band is the least controlled sort of  EMI.

....  Phil

Re: Radiation (?) question

We'll see...

Or claims it has, anyway...

You donít know that.

But you donít see that effect with such small motors normally.

Re: Radiation (?) question

"Rod Speed"

**  A 1kW brush motor is NOT small and at close range and in weak AM signal
conditions there is always some EMI.

...  Phil

Re: Radiation (?) question

Few of those exercise machines are anything like that bad EMI wise.

It happens at much more than close range.

But not normally anything like that bad.

Re: Radiation (?) question

**Waste of money. AM radios are extremely susceptible to interference.
Even interference that is within allowable limits.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Radiation (?) question

I have to agree with Trev. The better the am radio, the worse the
interference susceptibility is. Either tune into a FM station, or buy
a really cheap am radio, or exercise on your machine listening to a cd
or something. In other words, use your brain man.

Re: Radiation (?) question

I can listen to the radio via my smart phone app and earbuds if I want

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Radiation (?) question

Useless telling Felix to listen to FM, his hero Alan Jones is only on AM

Re: Radiation (?) question

Not in Melbourne..

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Radiation (?) question
Andrew Bolt then, they're all the same.

Re: Radiation (?) question
On 18-May-2012 9:29 PM, keithr took his nose out of reading 'The Age'
long enuff to write..:

Just like you lefties..

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Radiation (?) question

I don't live in Melbourne or anywhere near it so I do not read 'The
Age'. Try again hypochondriac boy.

You don't have to be a leftie to be to the left of bolt and Jones, you
just have to have a balanced outlook on life.

Re: Radiation (?) question

I too no longer have wet dreams I also have dust storms
--
Petzl

Re: Radiation (?) question

Must be nice cleaning up with a feather duster :)

Re: Radiation (?) question
On Thu, 17 May 2012 19:34:05 +1000, "Rod Speed"

This though is a vibrator don't think the Asian girl gets on with you?

Re: Radiation (?) question

Oh god! The most boring activity ever invented by man.

Re: Radiation (?) question

Not when I am practicing engine failure on takeoff on the fairways it
aint...

Site Timeline