Power savers again - Page 2

Re: Power savers again

Yes, and it stuck in my mind cos it was an Aussie company.(
was demoed as an example of good plastic injection moulding
capability)

Re: Power savers again
[...]

I am puzzled as to how an active device is correcting PF and harmonics???

Re: Power savers again

Well, it takes more than just processing power. Typically, it'll require
a largish capacitor. But sticking just a capacitor across the wires will
create the very problem it's meant to be solving when the (presumed
inductive) load is absent. So current through the capacitor has to be
controlled.

Sylvia.

Re: Power savers again

Correct. Over compensating, so to say and just shifting the phase the
other way.
Maybe the active controls are doing much more, like handling a bank of
capacitors to optimise PF? After all, industrial PF optimisation devices
have been on the market for a very long time.
This can be a tricky issue if you create a tuned circuit, with inductors
that could run load less at times. The currents in a tuned circuit are
in theory only limited by losses and to work out what happens if iron
cores get driven into saturation is another kettle of fish.

Tony

Tony

Re: Power savers again

The only way of defeating the market for this stuff is
to pirate it. Yes, seriously.
Just crack open some of these ripoffs in front of a camera
identifying its components and drawing the schematic, then
post the video to youtube encouraging everyone to build his one.
For those not into electronics one could also offer very
cheap kits/clones using identical components and schematic,
making clear that the intended purpose is to ask, say, $15
to give people enough knowledge to save $200.

I'm pretty sure the manufacturers lawyers would *not* come
after the clone maker and their clients will have to find
something else to rob people.

Re: Power savers again

Hm.. The last thing I'd want is encouraging lay people to start
tinkering with 240V really.

Tony

Site Timeline