SMA connector savers

These connector savers are fairly cheap, like $10, SMA male-female things. The rise is an SD24 TDR step plumbed into an SD30 40 GHz sampling head.

The SD30 connector is actually a 2.4 mm.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I got a bunch of cheap 'n' cheerful Chinese ones for about $1.50 each from eBay. I measured them with callipers before attaching them to my scopes, for sure, but they were in spec and seem to work fine. I haven't TDRed them, but I will.

Sometimes it's almost impossible to remove an SMA without rotating the centre conductor, and that kills them fast.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nearly all of my SMA connectors, adapters, and cables (largely ebay, flea market, and found in a dusty box somewhere) are transparent to an SD24 TDR step. Long cables do get lossy.

The tough transition to make is an edge launch from SMA to a microstrip trace. I've never done one without some sort of bump. I've fot some claimed 26 GHz Johnson/Emerson edge-launch samples coming.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links