Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

The datasheet for this product claims that they have eliminated
radioactivity and lead from it.

Radioactivity?

The generic Taiwan made one that I'm replacing appears to have an
essentially identical construction, consisting of a discharge tube in
parallel with a capacitor. The components are crimped to the connectors,
which is no doubt the cheapest approach, so there's no solder.

So where would the lead be?

Sylvia.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:35:54 +1000, Sylvia Else

Generally a trace of a mildly radioactive substance in the discharge
tube to get it started.

The soldered components before they went to the crimp system to
eliminate the lead in the solder.

Jim

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:45:10 -0700, RST Engineering

Like this:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Kry_Danger.jpg

I think some NE-2 type neon lamps had a little radioactive stuff in
them, too.

John

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

IIRC, that was to enable them to ionize at a reasonable voltage while in
the dark.

John

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

  Someone is in the dark alright.

   It enables them to "age" better.  IOW, they do not change performance
as much through a given time window of operation.

 They do change horribly, which is what this is supposed to flatten and
compensate for a bit.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

Of course, DimmerMan. You would know - not.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

  I have seen old fluorescent lamp starters with crimping and no solder.

  This reminds me of one potato chip company starting to say "no
cholesterol".  Potato chips fried in vegetable oils normally don't have
any cholesterol.

  Also, some fluorescent lamp starters don't have anything radioactive.
However, some non-radioactive FS-2 ones and a few others made for use with
lamps that use a ballast that does not boost voltage from 120V are
sometimes unreliable at working in the dark.  This gives rise to a
few fluorescent fixtures that need light to start.
  (Not a problem with ballasts that don't need starters, such as
electronic ballasts and over 99% of old-tech ballasts for lamps 3 feet
long or longer.)
--
 - Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@donklipstein.com)

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

Anyway, cholesterol is an essential chemical that is made by the body.

Most punters would have little understanding of the significance of
marketing claims. Product safety issues aside, it wouldn't surprise me
if one could promote a shampoo as containing "natural ricin, extracted
from the castor oil plant."

Sylvia.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
is this the shampoo recommended by the  :    Bulgarian secret police ??

he he he

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

I hardly ever hear an ad with honest claims :-(

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

That would be in large part because when you look closely, few ads make
testable claims. There are always weasel words like "may", or the claims
are just meaningless anyway.

Sylvia.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:17:23 +1000, Sylvia Else

Natch!  But I also hear claims that are blatantly fraudulent :-(

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Certainly there are plenty of claims that have one meaning but are
clearly intended to be interpreted as meaning something else.

An example I remember noticing from way back was a hair treatement that
was "adsorbed" by the hair. That isn't a typo, and how many people would
have ever come across the word? How many people would read it, or hear
it, as "absorbed"?

Sylvia.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:29:18 +1000, Sylvia Else

We certainly have a whole class of citizens that are so ignorant they
hear what they want to hear.  On this side of the pond we call them
Democrats ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

And republicans and libertarians and tea partiers ad nauseam

8-(

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 04:10:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@DonKlipstein.com (Don

Mains voltage is 240 so that's not a problem.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

AIUI the starter siarts out closed until the bimetallic
contacts get hot enough to spring open. then the lamp comes on
and the light from that should be enough for a non-radioactive
glow lamp the glow is to maintain the bimetallic contacts open.

OTOH evertything's 240V over here.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter
Jasen Betts Inscribed thus:

I belive that should be      ^"open"^

Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

  In my experience, a glow switch starter is normally open.  The glow
heats a bimetal strip, causing the starter to close.  Once the starter
closes, it is no longer producing heat, so it opens.
  The inductive kick from the ballast then pushes through a few hundred
milliamps.  If that goes through the starter, preferably the starter then
glows with "abnormal glow", which is a positive resistance phenomenon,
with voltage drop preferably high enough to break through the lamp once
the lamp's filaments are hot and thermionically emitting electrons.

--
 - Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@donklipstein.com)

Re: Philips eoclick fluorescent starter

That is true. You can actually take the cover off a starter, and watch
the process happen inside the little tube in the starter. At power on,
it glows inside, generating heat, that makes the bimetallic contacts
move together, which them shorts out the starter and stops the glow.
this also allows the heaters to energise, until the tube starts and
lights. At this point, the current flows through the tube and not the
starter so it does nothing further until next switch on.

Site Timeline