Somewhat OT: single or double pole breaker?

I'm trying to reach a decision to upgrade my home's old fuse box with breakers. My sparkie suggested going to double pole combined RCD/ breakers. In thinking about it afterwards, I was wondering if there was really any benefit in going that way versus single pole. By my reckoning, as long as the active is cut, the circuit should be safe? The only case where I could think a double pole breaker may benefit is if it was possible to come in contact with an active from another circuit (on a different breaker). But even if that did happen, wouldn't it create an imbalance between active and neutral on the live circuit and trigger the RCD there?

Yours in confusion.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Breaking both active a neutral negates any chance of getting a belt from any potential in either line , its entirely possible due to earthing crossed wires etc etc that a supposedly stable nuetral can whack you painfully

--
Reply to
atec77

double pole is probably a good idea on two-phase appliances. (dunno what the US term is for that) I can't see any advantage in cutting the neutral yet leaving the earth wire connected to the exact same point.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Glenn laid this down on his screen :

Yes I am an Australian and live in Australia. I know the US NEC prohibits breaking the neutral, but I have been out of touch with the AUS rules for a while and am not sure. Technically there is no reason to break the neutral at the box. Maybe someone with a more current (lol) view of the rules could enlighten us.

--
John G
Reply to

It's illegal to break the neutral. It is also illegal for you to be doing the work. Your 'Sparkie" aint a sparkie.

Reply to
Metro

was wondering how long it would take.

Reply to
F Murtz

although you should have said "in most cases" you should not break the neutral (caravans) although they were talking about houses

Reply to
F Murtz

Got a problem mate? I was talking about safety. Caravans didn't come into the question. "my home's old fuse box " was the subject. I wonder when you say 'was wondering how long it would take." what you mean. Surely you are not bagging me for making a couple of statements of safety to the bloke. Perhaps you know better...............For your information. Caravans are usually plugged into a 15A socket. If they are hard wired into a switchboard from a sub board you don't break the neutral.

Yawn.......

Reply to
Metro

Wondering how long it would take for some sense instead of waffle

Reply to
F Murtz

You had better read AS3000:2007, Section 2.3.2.1.1 Section (b)(ii) before you condemn the "Sparkie".

Perfectly legal for a circuit breaker / switch to break the neutral and active conductors if it a multi-pole switch or circuit breaker. In fact I have yet to come across a RCBO or RCD that does not switch the neutral as well as the active(s).

The original poster may have been confusing two module RCBOs for two pole RCBOs, as two module width RCBO are cheaper than the more compact single module RCBOs (which still switch both active and neutral)

David

Reply to
David

Apologies. I misread the original post. Thanks for pointing it out..............

Reply to
Metro