OT: Work environments...

I had a chance on the weekend to take a tour of the new Sydney Water
building in Parramatta before it opens.
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Whoweare/OneSmithStreet /

Wow!, I've got work environment envy now :-(

It's one smart building indeed, lots of techno gadgets included to make it
smart and user friendly.
Things like fully automated conference rooms. Put a piece of paper down on
the desk in a specific marked location and it automatically gets projected
onto the big screen, the blinds drop, and the lights dim etc.

The "chilled beam" air-con system is terrific too, with fresh air pumped
through the open metal mesh ceiling tiles constantly. You feel like someones
left all the doors and windows open it's so fresh.

I won't even mention the workstations and office space, but you might as
well be working from your living room at home.

I was excited about our company moving into a brand spanking new purpose
designed building next week, but now I know it's just not going to cut the
mustard. The lab is one floor down and on the opposite side of the building
from my desk for starters...

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Only the best when you're a regulated monopoly. All you have to do is
justify the expenditure to the regulator, and the customers will have to
pay for it.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Wrong.
The move will save Sydney Water money in many ways.

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

They could apparently have saved more money by having less luxurious
accomodation and facilities.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Not by any really significant amount, no.

And anyway the building is a showpiece, designed to demonstrate water/energy
efficiency and sustainability etc.

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

LOL

Re: OT: Work environments...

What's so funny about that?
If you don't care about that sort of thing, then fine, but to those that do
it's actualy pretty cool, and a very well implemented example.

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Does it have a lower total cost of ownership, or is it merely
demonstrating how energy and water consumption can be reduced if you
have access to other people's money to cover the required capital?

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Work environments...

As a result of those features?, yes, I'm lead to believe that's the case
here.

This might come as a surprise to you, but a lot of this stuff doesn't cost
extra, and in fact can be cheaper if you plan it right.
Talking to the builders rep they said these sorts of systems are getting
more common because they can in fact be cheaper to implement up front as
well as save you money on running costs, help the environment, and provide a
better working environment. Can be a winner all-round if you get it right.

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Except, there are almost certainly better ways of achieving the same
goals.

Re: OT: Work environments...
Sydney water, what are they going to do in that building, work on more
water saving stickers? find new ways to screw your water bill? Yeah I
can see they needed a new building for that.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Would you like to complain about the high price of water too while you're at
it?

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...

Re: OT: Work environments...

No.
Many people actually pay a lot less than what it actually costs to
distribute it to them.

Of course.
You are not from NSW?

Dave.

Re: OT: Work environments...
I hate to live in a broken ass state where the governemt has to ask Rudd
for money to bail them out. How does it feel living in a state that
actually didn't have a boom and instead just went into recesson before
the rest of the world...... still glad that Sydney water have such a
nice building to do nothing in.

Re: OT: Work environments...

A lot of people make up for this shortfall by buying bottled water at a
price higher than petrol...