OT: BBQ gas bottles

Time for some distraction...  I've got to buy a gas cylinder for our
BBQ - and there's two types:

1. Standard
2. With inbuilt safety valve

The second type is not the add-on "gas fuse" type valve - it's inside
the actual outlet and looks just like the standard bottle.  The way it
works is, it won't let gas out unless the fitting is seated 100%
correctly.  In other words, with no regulator fitted (like when you go
to refill it), no gas gets out when someone turns on the tap, like it
would with a standard bottle.

If I get the standard, I was thinking of getting a "gas fuse" as well.

Any reason I shouldn't buy one combination over the other?  Are they
the same thing!?

Allan.

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:21:17 +1100, "(Just) Allan"

Dont buy one, get a swap'n'go. Pay the initial deposit, then never
have to wait for a refill again.

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:02:33 +1000, The Real Andy

Yeah, I looked at those - but I can get a gas refill where we do our
shopping for $16 and another place we know for $12!  (Swap & Go is
about $20 for a 9kg I think.)

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

Wow, $12? Where?

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:43 +1100, "Heywood Jablome" <reply to

I stumbled on it while looking for something at one of those
shop-dockets sites.  It's a small hardware store in Jesmond,
(Newcastle) NSW.  There's at least two of those dockets sites that I
know of...  You enter your location and it gives the deals in your
area.  Maybe there's one near to you doing the same.  (Sorry, don't
have the urls, but they're easy enough to find - just look at the back
of your woolies receipts.)

Allan.

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:19:14 +1100, "(Just) Allan"

In saying that, my father in law can fill my bottle for free. I still
use the swap & go. I keep 2 on the go, when one gets emptied it goes
in the car next time i need fuel. I guess you pay for the convenience,
and i figure that an extra 4-5 $ is worth it.

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:09:58 +1000, The Real Andy

Hey, perhaps you can answer a question for me...  I was told many
years ago you have to have a special license to refill yourself.  Is
that true?  The reason I ask is, I thought I saw in a tool catalog the
equipment to do it yourself.  Seemed strange they were selling it, if
you couldn't do it legally.

Allan.

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

Really?  Remember Dick Smitgh making his fortune selling 27 MHz CB radios when
their use was illegal?

Re: OT: BBQ gas bottles

Heh - nope - but I remember READING about it - in an old issue of EA.

: p

Site Timeline