mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

I have a modem card in a computer which is able to establish a dialup
connection to an ISP when connected to a landline.

Is it possible to substitute a mobile phone for the landline?

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

The short answer... No.

The long answer... No, not in the fashion you're wanting to do it in.

The solution is to enable Wi-Fi tethering in your 'phone (if it's capable of
that - I know all Android 2.4+ 'phones are able to do it; not sure about
others), and connect the computer to the 'phone using Wi-Fi.

If your 'phone doesn't do Wi-Fi tethering and/or your computer doesn't have
a Wi-Fi adaptor, you can use USB tethering - basically a lower-tech version
of the above.

Once connected, you'll be using your 'phone 3G (or EDGE) data and your
computer'll behave just as if it was connected directly to an Ethernet
port - no dialling required.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

Yes is the correct answer.  My daughter was doing this, where she had
her mobile connected to a PC by a cable.  (The Telstra sim she used was
free to Bigpond.)

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

I'd really love to hear how she managed to get the cellular network to
transmit the QAM signals produced by a dial-up modem, given the bandwidth
requirements of the latter which the former simply doesn't, by design,
support. This of course before we even start contemplating the inability
(and indeed unwillingness) of a mobile 'phone to accept DTMF tones to
initiate dialling.

You'll have to forgive my naive curiosity in this regard; I'm merely an
electronics engineer with only a little over three decades' experience in
the computing field.

Had you said "my daughter used her 'phone as a modem," I'd most humbly have
nodded my head in agreement - but what you're proposing is simply impossible
based on my training and experience.

Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:05:05 +1000, "Bob Milutinovic"

Some older phones allowed a very slow unreliable connection to
Internet (just a friend of mine once set it up but ridiculously slow
and not even good for email)

Best to try a USB "Dongle" or
http://tinyurl.com/82z5pmm
When I tried Vodafone I ended up sending dongle back just didn't work
they claimed to much congestion (I don't trust them they seem a scam)

For my Android tablet I used Amaysim prepaid data (12 months 10 gig
for $100, speed varies from where you are norm is around 2Mb/s)
http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans/amaysim-mobile-broadband.html
You will still need a Optus Dongle to accept Sim Card (Android sim
card plugs into computer) Caltex service station sell Sim Cards $2

Problem with Telstra is they don't seem to want to be in communication
for individuals (prices not in reality or competitive)
--
Petzl

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

He's just mindlessly splitting hairs about how its done.

It is viable for email without any attachments.

Or one of the wifi wireless routers.

They did go thru a patch of an utterly obscene level of service
because they couldn't come even close to keeping up with demand.

Corse they do.

While they are a bit higher than the competition,
they also have the best wireless network too.

The prices arent too bad.

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:36:13 +1000, "Rod Speed"

When first connected I got reasonable speeds then a month later (after
30 day "guarantee") it became rubbish. A number of others report the
same fiasco.

Not really although they are not the only ones. Why won't they allow
Naked DSl? as a instance, looking into getting a data only Sim card
they want all my phones (mobile & home) Internet all at obscene
millionaire pricing.

Well I haven't tried their Sim data pricing lately (5 months) but they
were not even a quarter of what I got through Amaysim (Optus carrier).
I did shop around no one in Telstra know their product except the
"Customer Service" manager you waste your time talking to anyone else!
Give up if you can only get the Philippines
--
Petzl

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

Yeah, absolutely classic example of what can happen when you
don't have enough capacity and aggressively promote the service
so you end up with so many new customers that you cant handle
them all properly because you never had enough capacity to do that.

It was never clear if those with a clue had warned about that problem
and were just ignored or whether even those didn't realise the problem
until the shit had hit the fan very spectacularly indeed.

Corse they do, they've been flogging those white prepaid sticks
and the wifi routers for years now. They're available in all the
retail outlets like the post office, hardly normal, big W etc etc etc.

Because they make a hell of a lot of money on line rent, stupid.

No they don't. You just cant understand some of their offerings.

That's just plain wrong. One of their offers isnt any more
expensive than DSL. Its just got the major disadvantage
that it just charges you more once you exceed the quota
rather than just crippling the service speed wise.

But they arent anything like that much cheaper than dodo, optarse themselves
etc etc etc.

Some of the operations like the franchised telstra shops do have a clue.

It would have been cheaper for the turks, but they had already
had to cancel the broadband service twice because one of the
stupid kids grossly exceeded the quota and produced an utterly
obscene bill, so they needed a service that would just cripple
the performance of the service and not affect the amount they
paid. So I put them on a DSL service instead even tho they didn't
need a phone service at all because they all use the mobile service
that gives free calls between all customers of the mobile service and
25c untimed national calls to both landlines and mobiles nationally.
That's MUCH cheaper than a landline voice service.

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

The modem connection created by attaching a phone to a computer via USB
actually acts in the same way as a normal modem except that it calls a
service number (usually *99#) instead of a modem dialup number.  All you
have to do is change that number to an ISP dialup number and the connection
will operate as aq dialup connection.

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

USB, yes. RJ11 'phone port, no.

You're suggesting using the 'phone as a modem - which is easily
accomplished.

Connecting a mobile 'phone to a dial-up modem in a computer, however, is
impossible.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

Is there a modem in the old phones?

I'm not exactly sure of the exact details of how. She took the free sim
and placed it into her Nokia phone, and the cable plugged into the
bottom of the phone, this was then connected to the PC. If I was to get
the PC back and have a look just to see what hardware it had I would
most likely have a better idea. She had no landline and the mobile gave
quite a good result.

I wonder if the mobile connected to bigpond and the signal went via usb
to the PC??

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

He's just mindlessly hair splitting/posturing, as always.

Nope.

The phone just fakes up a modem so the comms app is happy.

Most phones can do that. The connection speed is pathetic.

Yes it did, or to the telco the sim was provided by, anyway.

Nope, just the data.

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

you can make ISDN calls using many GSM phones, the phone looks like a
modem to the pc. most dialup ISPs will accept ISDN calls.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

^^^ What he said.

The first 'phone I had which could function as a modem was a Philips Spark,
circa 1997 - which was incidentally also the first GSM 'phone I had.

Assuming you have the ('phone) modem driver installed, your computer will
see the 'phone as a modem and use it as such.

I'd strongly advise against it though, as even the slowest GPRS or EDGE
connection will out-perform dial-up via ISDN.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: mobile phone as phone line for computer modem

It isnt an ISDN call.

Site Timeline