Looking for a sensor or devise, that indicates a forward and a reverse movement

Does anyone know of a devise or sensor that can indicate a signal or no
signal for a forward movement, but have a signal for a reverse
movement?
Or is it impossible to do?
I am open to any other solutions that someone can tell me

Description of project is that
12E% It has a flat surface to mount to
22E% It has wheels for mobility for the movement of a forward or reverses
(push or pull)
32E% Power supplied 12v DC 20amp
42E% To be used for out-door use, subject to extreme weather conditions
and temperatures.

Example:
Take a child's red wagon being pulled or pushed in different
directions.
Pull the wagon towards you and walk         "prefer a signal
Stop                           "prefer a signal
Push the wagon backwards                               "signal "
Now pull the wagon towards you and walk "prefer a signal

The specs should fall into this area
Sensor Specifications:

12E%    Bi-Directional
22E%    1-3 phase signal, reverse motion and stationary (non movement)
32E%    Generate a signal reverse or opposite direction from a forward
motion
42E%    Time delay adjustment
52E%    Temperature rating -40B0%C - +50B0%
62E%    .5v - 12v DC .01amp
72E%    Sealed unit
82E%    Weather proof
92E%    .002% accuracy
10.    Vibration tolerance adjustment
11.    To be used in an external application only
12.    No moving parts or external reference
13.    Non magnetic
14.       PC programmable

Something like a digital compass? I'm not that experience in this field

Re: Looking for a sensor or devise, that indicates a forward and a reverse movement

 They use gyroscopes for this purpose in the aviation industry.
Alternatively, have you thought of a pendulum suspended on a rigid arm, but
pivoted so that it is free to move at the top. Any change in speed or
direction will cause movement of the pendulum relative to its mountings, and
you would need to devise a system of coils attached to it and moving in a
magnetic field to generate a voltage  proportional to the movement

Harry Pfeifer

Does anyone know of a devise or sensor that can indicate a signal or no
signal for a forward movement, but have a signal for a reverse
movement?
Or is it impossible to do?
I am open to any other solutions that someone can tell me

Description of project is that
1. It has a flat surface to mount to
2. It has wheels for mobility for the movement of a forward or reverses
(push or pull)
3. Power supplied 12v DC 20amp
4. To be used for out-door use, subject to extreme weather conditions
and temperatures.

Example:
Take a child's red wagon being pulled or pushed in different
directions.
Pull the wagon towards you and walk         "prefer a signal
Stop               "prefer a signal
Push the wagon backwards                               "signal "
Now pull the wagon towards you and walk "prefer a signal

The specs should fall into this area
Sensor Specifications:

1. Bi-Directional
2. 1-3 phase signal, reverse motion and stationary (non movement)
3. Generate a signal reverse or opposite direction from a forward
motion
4. Time delay adjustment
5. Temperature rating -40C - +50
6. .5v - 12v DC .01amp
7. Sealed unit
8. Weather proof
9. .002% accuracy
10. Vibration tolerance adjustment
11. To be used in an external application only
12. No moving parts or external reference
13. Non magnetic
14.       PC programmable

Something like a digital compass? I'm not that experience in this field

Re: Looking for a sensor or devise, that indicates a forward and a reverse movement

Hi,
try the analog devices accelerometers. The adxl203 may suit. +/- 1.7g dual
axis +/- 4% accuracy.

You can use one axis to tell if you're on an inlcine and the other for
forward/reverse motion. The 1st can then also be used to compensate for
incline to tell you information about the rate of motion in fwd/rev.
(velocity)

You can then integrate that information to tell distance travelled etc.

If you're not interested in forward motion, then your software would just
ignore data that indicates forward motion.

If you don't want to use software then a comparator could be used to give a
"1" or "0" based  on the velocity threshold you set up.

hope that helps
Greg

[...]

Just off the top of my head perhaps a couple of reed switches actuated by
magnets on the wheels - 1 x n/o and 1x n/c.  Then use a PICAXE or similar
to monitor the opening and closing etc, and programmed so it indicates
which operaes first.  eg in one direction one will operate first, in the
other direction the other will operate first - on second thought the same
principal should work OK with any type of sensors operated by the wheels -
just a matter of seeing which one preceeds the other

Or then again maybe I am just getting old and raving on

David -

Re: Looking for a sensor or devise, that indicates a forward and a reverse movement

keyboard and composed:

How about a $5 optomechanical mouse?

- Franc Zabkar