Movement sensor

Hi all!

I was wondering how movement sensors are made?

I have a place on the country side, where I could use some automatic light. It is a corridor with a corner and the light switch in one end. During day time it is not a problem to walk there, but at night when it is really dark, it can be troublesome. Therefore, a movement sensor, which turns on some LEDs (enough to navigate) would be useful. Also, I'd add a LDR or other light sensitive components so it only works at night.

There are such items available, I am wondering to modify such, or how easy it would be detect movement.

The ultimate solution would a solar powered system, with say 1W of automatic LED light.

WBR Sonnich

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen

Go to your favorite home store site and search on "motion sensor" -- they're pretty common.

If you're not on the grid -- check anyway, there may be some specialty items for RV use.

They 'see' a moving source of IR, and turn on a switch. There's ones made for turning on courtesy lights; that's exactly what you want.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

LED lights use a watt or three, so it's reasonable to just leave them on all the time.

A mechanical timer will probably use more power than a decent LED light. I don't know how much power a PIR motion sensor uses... probably not much.

John

It sounds like a standard garden PIR fits the OP's requirements. But as John says, if you only want one watt of gloomy lighting, the PIR wont gain you anything, just leave them on. And get a 3w LED and underrun it at 1w.

NT

Reply to
NT

Seems something like this would be simpler:

itch-Light-Almond/p.aspx

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Why not this? Solar, motion and LEDs. Everything the OP wished for.

linnix

.

.... seems very much like what I need.... just - not sure there is enough sun where I need it, but that can probably be detached...

Reply to
Sonnich Jensen

.

That site is just a marketeering ripoff. You won't get that thing to your door for less than $50. I had the impression this was an interior hallway- just don't see how you can beat a simple wireless replacement for the conventional on/off switch- without the wiring. And for the price listed, it is cheaper than conventional wiring with 3-way switches, unless he has some on hand from previous work that is.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

.

PIRs are cheap

0CFaIRNAodf2XDlg
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

There are some battery powered PIR lights that are reasonably bright and give long life.

Reply to
Robert Baer