Fixing a monitor VGA cable

I have an 17 inch LG monitor about 18 months old.
The there is a intermittent/partial break in the "blue" wire in the VGA
cable, about 10cm from the VGA connector.

The bottom line is I either need to:
1. replace the whole VGA cable with one from an discarded PC
2. cut off 10cm off the old cable and attempt to solder a new VGA connector

I'd like suggestions on what's the best plan of attack.

gtoomey

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

Replace the whole monitor with another one. 17" monitors are being
thrown away at council collection days by the truckload. At worst you
can buy one for $30-$40 at PC markets. By far the easiest solution.

Don't replace the whole lead, you'd have to open the monitor and there
could some kind of wierdo connector inside that will ruin your day
anyway.

Dave :)

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

your in Brisbane ?
 come for a drive (Browns Plains)and you can have a nice 17" Dell for
$40.00 ( black) or you can resolder the vga plug if you have 3 hands and
a small vice :)

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

Resolder but it's a prick of a job.

Fraser

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

bad idea, since with that impedance with cable changes; you could
experience ghosting on letters/vertical bars  right side ...
Better to replace with original cable (requires opening monitor)...
--
                  Regards ,  SPAJKY ®
   mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

Not always.. a lot of screens have a socket on the outside of the screen,
and you can just replace the cable alone..

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Contact me via email and I'll give you an old cable for the cost of
postage. That's assuming I can find one that matches the internal
connector and supports the monitor ID pins, if required.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Fixing a monitor VGA cable

I have three complete crt monitors sitting on the office floor, which need a
good home.  If you are in Adelaide you can have one.

Rod

Site Timeline