Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

For those interested in such things...
I was in a "scrap metal" merchant place today and they had lots of
electronics "junque".
Literally tons of old computer gear (up to PII's), lots of big power
supplies, some electronic components like boxes full of large 250V
capacitors, reel components etc. Quite a few large racks and other
hardware too. Lots of other old custom electronics and computer
equipment too.

A good lot of it was nothing but scrap, but there seemed like some real
gems if you dug around.

A lot of it sitting out in the open subject to weather too, so get in
before any rain :->

The place is in Euston St Rydalmere, just off Victoria Rd, before entry
to the new business park.
No signs, just look for the open gate and a junk yard.

No prices on anything, but "5 bucks mate" seemed like the going rate
for the small stuff.

Dave :)

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

Pity it's in Sydeney, I really miss places like Wolfe Metals down here in
Melbourne that sold anything from multi-kilowatt broadcast band AM
transmitters to 44 gallon drums of telecoms uniselectors down here in
Melbourne.  Anybody seen these sort of places around lately?

Cheers,
Alf

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

Pete's Bargain Centre in Maroondah Hwy Ringwood,
near Oban Rd, is always worth a browse.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

I reckon I might just have a look tomorrow. If he's open.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

I was there two hours ago, pity I didn't have longer to
browse. If you've never been there, it's probably the
closest thing in Melbourne to the junkyard that the
Mythbusters crew frequent - fantastic.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

I had a look on Saturday. They've certainly got a lot of stuff,
but I didn't see much in the way of electronics. I spotted
a large brass telescope with a nicely made brass and timber
tripod for a couple of hundred bucks that I should have picked
up, but the wife would have killed me..  8-0 .. An electronic LED sign
that didn't have a price on it, some old computers, and racks out
the back in the rain. But there's also a LOT of hardware and other
gear. If you're renovating your house there's some gear for that too.
And boxes and boxes of pop rivets, some nice tool chests, etc...nice.

I'll have to go back when I have more time. Are there any more places
like Pete's in Melbourne?

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

No, true, though they had all the stuff sold them by Truscott when
he "went consumer". I guess that's the opposite of groming feral, no?

I always wanted to get to a place in Coburg I heard about that had
a lot of aviation stuff, but I don't remember the name or know whether
it still exists or has moved/closed.

Clifford.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

I always wanted to get to a place in Coburg I heard about that had
a lot of aviation stuff, but I don't remember the name or know whether
it still exists or has moved/closed.

Clifford.

***** Gone some years ago,the whole shebang was offered at the onsite
auction.Collectors came from around the world for the enormous amount of
"unobtainium" aircraft spares that were offered(there 3as even a complete
gun turret from a Lancaster bomber IIRC).
Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

Was that the place just near RMIT? I went there probably 15+ years ago
to pick up some (perfectly working) 5.25" floppy drives for a mere $5
each. This was in the days when high density 5.25" drives were still in
the process of gaining acceptance, so it was a useful acquisition.
There was a lot of ex-Telecom equipment there too. I noticed some years
ago that it had closed down.

manual for tek 464 scope.

Need a service manual for the Tek 464.
Old faithfull is real crook this time.
Can't bear to retire this box just yet !

simon

Re: manual for tek 464 scope.

Hello Simon,
I had a little look around the net for you. I found
an 82 page operators manual. I know you want
the service manual but if you don't already have
the operators manual you can download it from here.
http://www.teknetelectronics.com /
Scroll half way down the page to
"Download Free Manuals"
You have to register but it only takes a
minute or two.

There is a 464  manual on CD listed here for $15 US
http://home.comcast.net/~aa4df02/testeqpt.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~aa4df02/464.htm

http://electronictrader.webserver.com.au/charles/bookhave.html
This is a long shot. Even thought the above site
does not list a 464,  send an email to Charles the
site owner and ask if he has a 464 manual. He might not
have listed it yet.  You may get lucky, who knows!    :-)

Here is a very good group to join for advise on
repairing your scope.
Ask on that group about obtaining a manual also.
Tell them about the problem with your scope.

Just for interest, what has gone wrong with
your 464 scope?

Regards,
John Crighton
Hornsby

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

Was that the place just near RMIT? I went there probably 15+ years ago
to pick up some (perfectly working) 5.25" floppy drives for a mere $5
each. This was in the days when high density 5.25" drives were still in
the process of gaining acceptance, so it was a useful acquisition.
There was a lot of ex-Telecom equipment there too. I noticed some years
ago that it had closed down.

**** Probably HMR,used to be in Cardigan street,moved to Thomastown,and now
located in West Heidleberg .They concentrate on PC recycling in a big way.

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Electronics Junque Yard in Sydney

Are there any Perthites there that are old enough (like me) to remember
Andys in Murray Street? My first several trannies were from there, one or
two of them even worked. And I got a couple of huge valves that never even
got the filaments lit up. Memories

Site Timeline