Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

Hi,

I want to use a tri-colour LED (or maybe just 3 different coloured LED's) to monitor the output voltage of a circuit, to tell me if the voltage is normal (green), too low (amber), or too high (red). I have seen the "Bi-colour LED battery voltage indicator", but was wondering if there is such thing as a 3-stage indicator rather than just a 2-stage.

I would like some links or schematics to assist me. I haven't had much luck using search engines.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jason S

You mean like this one from Jaycar

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

normal

wondering

luck

For three colours you only need two leds, consider what happens when both are on.

Search for "window detectors".

How about something like this. I will set something up for a car battery. To make up some numbers say one detector(A) turns on below 12 V. The other(B) turns off below 10V. Now with a bicoloured led hook A to the red led, B to the Green.

Batt V DetectA Detect B Colours

9 ON OFF RED 11 ON ON RED + GREEN= AMBER? 13 OFF ON GREEN

I know that the problem with this system is that Green now becomes the colour for overvolt, but it gives you a start.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mikegw

hmmm, no, I'd rather not have 10 LED's. A tri-colour would be nice, or just a green, yellow and red LED. I'm sure it's possible. But thanks anyway. =)

Reply to
Jason S

Umm ok, that sounds like a start I suppose. I'll check it out later on. Thanks =)

Reply to
Jason S

Jaycar have an RGB led for $5.95 (ZD-0270). You could also use a bi-colour led. Use the green and red for the normal and high functions, then oscillate the signal to the led to create amber for the low indicator.

Reply to
dmm

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration, as I've read that a 3-pin package is not as common as the 2-pin. Easier to install on a PCB also. Now all i need is a good battery level circuit that will control it for me! I'm looking for a schematic as I want to be able to twink with the components/operation. Like I want to be able to control the low, normal and high voltages with precision, if possible. e.g. 13.6V.

Reply to
Jason S