Dick Smith?

Because it was handy, I wandered into Dick Smith today  to get some 0.5A
glass fuses. The fellow looked me up and down, and said "We don't sell fuses
any more".

So what do they sell that would not be better bought at Harvey Norman etc?
Closure imminent.

All the best
Ian Macmillan

Re: Dick Smith?

Or bought online. Hardly Normal's pricing is not the keenest.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith?

It seems to vary from store to store almost as if they are running an
experiment in natural selection. The main website OTOH offers specials
for components where one component is left in stock at one store only:
CMOS 555 being an example. I'm betting they have a hotshot MBA running
the show who figures the technical stuff just isn't profitable enough.

Other electronics retailers are inching their prices up already, Jaycar
want $3.45 for a LM7555 which I can buy in Australia from Futurlec for
$0.52

Re: Dick Smith?

  Got it in one

Re: Dick Smith?

A couple of months ago I bought some stuff on sale at our local DSE. I
asked the guy if they were going out of the component/tool business, he
reckoned that such items were not going to be stocked locally any more
but would be available online.

Just as well that Jaycar have opened up locally.

Re: Dick Smith?

It was official last summer, they're getting out of the component business,
what's left is just clearing the decks, more money selling the toys, no
interest is electronics -- slowly been happening since BigW bought them.

I made the mistake of trying to buy some resistors off them (online), some
values not available, some they cannot supply as advertised (5% remarked as
1%), and it took several attempts to try completing the order, the have
an odd way of telling one to leave them alone.  Thanks, but no thanks.

All the decent specials are gone, and they wont order between stores :(

Jaycar selling a lot of crap too, but it must be expensive to hold stock
of all those components.

Grant.

Re: Dick Smith?

I don't really care if farting ashtrays as long as the continue to sell
the stuff that I want. The problem with living outside the city is the
lack of choice if you want something right away. For me even Jaycar is a
45 km drive away and that adds considerably to the cost if you are only
buying a couple of cheap components.

Re: Dick Smith?

You may find an Altronics dealer is closer.

--
¡spuɐɥ ou 'ɐꟽ ʞooꞀ

Re: Dick Smith?

The nearest Altronics dealer is approximately 3 hours drive away. I
would prefer to deal with them rather than Jaycar, but I can't justify
spending  a whole day and 50 litres of petrol just to pick up the odd
chip and a few resistors. So Jaycar it is unless Altronics comes to town.

Re: Dick Smith?

I'm in Bendigo,  we got a Jaycar agency that has moved to larger premises
at Dick Smith left the technical are -- they're quite busy too.  Them there's
a couple TV repair places used to sell some parts, the rest for me is web
order.  Pretty good.

I left Melbourne in '93 so no idea what it's like down there now.

Can remember buying Mini Scope Iron plus 3.3V transformer for $12.21 from
McGraths, and, if you said 2N3055s were for a guitar amp they were 15%
tax instead of 27.5% tax ;)  Quite odd, if one didn't have a VS number,
one could change tax rate on some items by stating intended use.

Grant.

Re: Dick Smith?

The Jaycar outlet in Bendigo is probably a better example than an actual
Jaycar store though. Since opening Peter has always been keen to supply what
people wanted, and that wasn't, and I assume still isn't, limited to Jaycar
products. The other key to their success is that they had a clue, unlike the
mobile phone sales people at DSE. Peter and his son (Brett?) always showed
interest in local bussiness and hobbyists, sharing their knowledge, and
listening to others as well, and in developing those relationships got great
word of mouth exposure.
I notice also that one of the guys that previously worked at DSE is working
for him now. His name escapes my memory now, but like the others, he has a
clue as well. I'm sure they are well aware that electronics knowledge is the
key to catering to the needs of their customers.

James

Re: Dick Smith?

I can also recommend the Jaycar store at the sunshine coast QLD too.

Very large, well stocked, wide range modern store the guy at the
counter seemed to know his stuff,
and it was an enjoyable experience shopping there.

Re: Dick Smith?

Or more likely, NOT.

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith?

I think Peter's retired, haven't seen him in the store since it crossed
the road ;)  Brett's there occasionally, and the 'regular' crew are mostly
okay.

Dunno, I don't go there often, know the store well enough to go the
corner where the parts are, and to ask when I can't see them (usually 'cos
I walked right passed them).

Dick Smith I last went to because they had a sale of quality blank CDs
really cheap, plus curiosity.  Hard to find sale item, one had to ask,
I guess that was the idea, some people rather pick something more
expensive than ask where sale items were hidden?

Grant.

Re: Dick Smith?

fuses

Nope, HN don't have fuses either, and HN is just as bad as DSE, but they
still seem to keep on making a profit.

MrT.

Re: Dick Smith?

What's the gripe here FFS. All businesses need to evolve, and DSE was around
as a component source for a good number of years. There's no shortage of
alternatives around.

Re: Dick Smith?

Couldn't agree more.
Nothing new here at all, people have been making the exact same post for
more than decade now, get over it.
Dick Smith as a component supplier died a long time ago in a galaxy far, far
away.

Dave.
Re: Dick Smith?

So what's your take then Dave, on the big picture, i.e. the future of
electronics in Australia?.

Re: Dick Smith?

You might be hearing my take on this soon in a documentary on the
Australian electronics industry:

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/23/canon-5d-mark-ii-hd-video-documentary -
behind-the-scenes/

http://www.karlvonmoller.com/blog/2010/07/25/state-of-electronics-the -
beginning/

Although my comments were somewhat limited to the questions posed.

There are many notable people involved in this project, including Tricky
Dick himself.

Trailer coming soon.
I will provide details once it's done.

Dave.
www.eevblog.com

Re: Dick Smith?

It will be what it has been for the last few decades; small run and
custom jobs, but continuing to shrink as manufacturers face increases
competition from overseas.

Is there any company in Australia designing or building
telecommunications gear now?
Is all our defence requirements slavishly sourced from the USA military
complex?

Site Timeline