Component questions

Pots - I'm finding conflicting information, what and A, B and L types?
Capacitors - is there a marked difference between ceramic and film caps?
Particularly in relation to Audio applications.
What type is film referring to? Would that be "greencaps"?
Resistors  - is there an appreciable difference between using carbon and
metal film in relation to Audio applications.
Cheers

Re: Component questions

"Clubsprint"

** That's because there are varying standards for the code letters in
different parts of the world.

Most commonly,  A= audio taper and  B=linear taper.

**  Yep.

** You can assume the "film" = polyester,  if nothing says otherwise.

Polyester caps are also known as Mylar, MKT, PEPT and even "greencaps" -
which are sometimes blue, yellow or red.

** Usually there is next to nothing in it  -  but 1% metal film types are
everywhere now.

 Beware of carbon composition and cermet resistors as they can be noisy.

.....    Phil

Re: Component questions

Would you please elaborate?

Thanks for the other info, very helpful.

Re: Component questions

"Clubsprint"

**  Not interested in replying to such a vague and silly question.

   Make it specific or go away.

.....  Phil

Re: Component questions
  Stumped again I see pedo boy

  don't worry we can all see you are so you needn't bother trying
  Oh dear... not a clue philthy

Re: Component questions

Type "ceramic vs film capacitor" into Google...
Tom

Re: Component questions

Sometimes the obvious escapes me.

It appears to have no sonic impact from the evidence of my limited research.

Found an interesting web site with some great articles that you probably all
know.
http://www.sound.westhost.com/articles/capacitors.htm#2.3

Re: Component questions

Google and Wiki are your friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_capacitors

Dave.

Re: Component questions

No idea exactly, but stuff like linear, logrithmic(differing), speaker
volumes/balance, and other special purpose.

As to the rest of the stuff, EA had a good intro booklet that explained it
all.

Re: Component questions

Self evident.

Graham

Re: Component questions

A and B are audio and linear taper typically except in Europe where they're
the other way round. L is a special.

Potentially hugely esp depending on the ceramic dielectric. That's several
pages of discussion in its own right.

Yes that too. Certain ceramic dielectrics will cause distortion.

The ones that look like they've been dipped in a green gunge ? These are
normally mylar film (Du Pont's trade name for polyester) and are widely used
in audio. A good general purpose cap.

In sensitive stages there's a VAST difference - not to mention tolerances
too. Most metal film is 1% tolerance or better which in pro-audio is very
important.

Graham

Re: Component questions

Many Thanks