What component ?

Hello all, my car is a Merceder Benz vito -99, which has a CDI type of motor with Bosch-Engine management system (EMS). This EMS has now one component which is making a whirring sound every day when the temperature is high. The picture of that component can be found from this page:

The page contains link for small picture (100kt), where component is marked with red rectangle. From the big picture (600kt), the codes can be seen if picture is zoomed in.

Every information about this component is very welcome! It is quite easy to replace it, as it is soldered from 4 pins which are clearly visible in the other side of the PCB.

My best quess is that component is relay or coil, but no confidence as couldn't find component from the web.

Best Regards,

+Tuomas
Reply to
thakuli

It seems to me it is 15u ( 15 microfarad ) capacitor.

Regards Cyrus

Reply to
Cyrus

"Cyrus" schreef in bericht news:Wv7Ae.8078$Eo.3640@fed1read04...

With four pins? I doubt it, although I admit 15u seems to say so.

Besides, *if* it is a relay, it may not be the relay that is faulty but the control signal.

Anyone recognizes the logo? A search by manufacturer may be helpful.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

It's a relay and if it's buzzing you have a problem - probably not the relay.

NSM

"petrus bitbyter" a écrit dans le message de news:42d13ffc$0$20934$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.nntp.hccnet.nl...

the

It definitively is a 15uF /100V capacitor. I have a 1.5u-250V of the same manufacturer and series at hand.

SM stands for Siemens Matsushita, which I believe is now

.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Thanks Fred! that was a good tip and the component indeed is a capasitor and the general description of that component can be found from here:

Now it is time to start thinking why component is making a whirring (or ticking) sound

Any guesses? Best Regards,

+Tuomas
Reply to
thakuli

The extra pins are possibly for strength and stability of the component, perhaps?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

These are MKT(polyester) capacitor packages developed by EPCOS (Siemens-Matsushita) for Bosch.

Unfortunately a catalog page refering to a type B26685 15uF, 100Vdc, boxed, four-terminal film capacitor doesn't seem to be available on the EPCOS website.

Due to the physical size and the pulse application of the part, the occurance of audible noise, particularly in hotter environments, may be normal.

RL

Reply to
legg

Yes, most possibly. with 4 pins the component stands very stable compared to 2 pins. Also there is more metal to flow the current. The compnent is very simple and the 2 pins in the other end of the component are plus and the 2 pins in the other end are groud

Reply to
thakuli

But it's buzzing? That can't be good.

NSM