What is debugging information?

I work on PowerPC based Embedded Systems. Programming language is C. Cross compiler is Diab 4.2b. FYI, Windriver has purchased Diab. Alon with the compiler comes a utility called ddump. This utility has th following syntax.

ddump [command] file

I invoke this utility as follows:

ddump -D filename.elf I believe .elf stands for executable linking format. Anyways, thi command means to dump the DWARF debugging information in each object file I think when this utitliy is run it generates bunch of paths to the sourc code. These source paths are loaded into the debugger. Then, we type som command in debugger to load symbols. Then, somehow source code tha matches the binary image in our target hardware appears in the debugger. How does all this work? What is DWARF?

Thanks,

Reply to
jani

Did you try Googling?

I got pretty good hits with 'elf' and 'dwarf debug'.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi