cheap cat5e

Got some cheap supposed cat5e (it may be to spec) the conductors appear
to be copper plated aluminium, it seems to be fairly thick plating ,the
pairs are well twisted.
would there be any inherent problems with this cable? I can not see
major problems unless the connections cut through the copper.  The
current carrying capabilities may differ as the conductors are  supposed
to be the same diameter as the copper. I assume the resistance may
differ but would that matter significantly?

Re: cheap cat5e

Aluminium will prove brittle compared to copper.

Re: cheap cat5e

I thought that aluminium was a better conductor than copper actually ?

Might not like being bent, stretched though as much as copper and dont
know how it would handle environmentally over time

Re: cheap cat5e

Copper is the better conductor but aluminium is LIGHTER and CHEAPER
hence the use in overhead town electricity wiring.

The aluminium in outside electricity wiring may not be pure aluminium
but may be alloyed to enhance particular features. The wiring around my
town is doing alright long term however I see there is still a lot of
copper left in the system. There have been major upgrades around here
recently and all new is aluminium. I guess they make a packet out of
scrap copper when they take the old lines down.

--

Krypsis

Re: cheap cat5e

That is probably what I was thinking, I have seen a lot of it go up,
they were even putting it up for power mains (240/415) 25 years ago.

Re: cheap cat5e

. . .

Nope. Perhaps you are thinking of silver - but of course that is not
going to be in anything cheap.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: cheap cat5e

Ah, No I was thinking it might be better as it was being used more
often in power lines where I thought lower resistance would be
critical due to the currents involved.  Obviously not.

On the other hand, if copper is the better conductor - and this CAT5
is being used for power over ethernet, or carrying any significant
current in a non-network type application, aluminium conductors could
be a problem with drops along the line - particularly on long runs.

Re: cheap cat5e

"kreed"

I thought that aluminium was a better conductor than copper actually ?

** Copper is the better conductor for a given cross section.

However, for the same weight of cable, aluminium has half the resistance.

Both conductors lack strength, so cables strung between poles or towers have
steel cores with copper or aluminium strands wrapped around.

...  Phil

Site Timeline