Carbon Flourescent Lamps ??? - Page 2

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

"Bob Parker"

** Apparently that was his invented cover story for wanting to retract what
he said  -  after it was pointed out to him how damaging to his career it
was to be publicly identified as a  AGW " sceptic ".

BTW:

How many global warming sceptics does it take to change a light bulb ?

.....   Phil

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

    What, a Carbon Fluorescent Lamp or a (wickedly evil
planet-destroying) tungsten filament one? :-)

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Hm, maybe they got confused with carbon-arc lamp ?  :)

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

"kreed"

** Here is the same leaflet  -  on the EnergyAustralia site:

http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/energy/ea.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/CFL+Disposal /$FILE/CFL_disposal.pdf

Google turns up a few hundred hits on the phrase " carbon fluorescent "  -
most of them from dopes on Green blogs but one is from a CFL maker in India
and others from local councils in the UK  etc.

 Crikey   !!!

...   Phil

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/energy/ea.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/CFL+Disposal /$FILE/CFL_disposal.pdf

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The Loonies are taking over. Look at Gore and his
Nobel for example.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Even seen one of those ?

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

'Even'? ... did you mean 'Ever'?

There's probably a pun in that somewhere (remaining eye, etc), but I recall
they were used extensively in film, making and projecting, until HID came
along.

Chris

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

   Stop the ignorant eye jokes.  I had a palsy in my right eye early
last month, and can only use one eye and there is absolutely nothing
funny about losing depth perception, and almost half your field of view.
To add insult to injury, the remaining eye is legally blind, so I am
unable to do most things I could seven weeks ago.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Yes.

You bet and ancient theatre lighting too IIRC.

My school friends and I built one in our spare lab. Despite the significant
ballast resistor it still blew a fuse.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

... with my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended with my mention
of a possible pun.

I can remember being shown round Ealing Film Studios as part of a
'management' course when it still had motor-generator sets in its 'power
house' to supply DC mains for arc lamps.  Must have been in the mid to late
seventies.  I thought at the time: why do generators always seem to end up
having much larger diameters than alternators?  Is it something to do with
increasing the ripple frequency?

Chris

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Yes, in an old cinema projection room about 10 years ago.  I doubt it
had been energised for decades prior to that, and I wouldnt have
risked turning it on after all that time without a thorough check of
all the wiring in the place.

I also made one about 20 years back using carbon rods cut from out of
"d" batteries, and powered it from a couple of 2v Lead acid batteries
in series.  Worked well, (for what it was)  but doubt its very
efficient.  No mercury though ;)

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

You know "The Great Global Warming Swindle" has been heavily criticised for
alleged partiality ? I'll leave you to make your own judgement about that, but
their sources were first class IMHO.

Then think 'gravy train' and who has most to lose by showing that AGW is either
a crock of shit or vastly overestimated.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

I think it was Channel 4 but you're right, it is in that class of quality
documentary. No funny games, just straight facts and interviews with SERIOUS and
well qualified scientists.

The public is gradually seeing through  the political fog. Give it some years.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???
In a similar vein, I often wonder whether it is deliberate or not - the
"horrible polution" pictures we see almost every night on tv, where we
are presented with shots of the hyperbolic cooling towers at power
stations spewing forth massive clouds of ... beautiful clean steam!
Looks impressive, I must admit, but surely SOMEONE must realise?
JW˛
===

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Same applies to the visible car exhaust on a chilly morning - its water
vapour!

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

Classic 'anything that makes a good picture' stuff. Shame CO2 isn't visible.
Even if it is responsible for anything.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

   Not the media.  They are all journalism majors.  That means they were
too stupid to remember, "DOYALLWANTFRIESWITHDAT".

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

I think he's being a bit 'precious' about that. The questions and answers
were IIRC perfectly clear.

You bet. Gravy train or what ?

I've never seen that one.

I did see a documentary some decades earlier (BBC I think) that said we were
headed for a new Ice Age.

I wish they could make their minds up ! Too many researchers chasing too
many grants is my analysis. And AGW is simply 'flavour of the month' so it
gets the lion's share.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

I can WELL believe that !

People have lost their jobs for being critical of the AGW monster.

Graham

Re: Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???
Wots a flourescent lamp?

Site Timeline