Useby date for solder?

Hi, I've been using the same soldering iron for many years, make/model no marking long ago worn off, with a supply of tips that until recently I thought would serve for the term of my natural life. However, over the last few months I've found that tips stop working well a lot more rapidly, they look nice and shiny but have weak heat transfer and won't tin. The most recent instance came up with problems after less than a weeks service, in time gone by a tip would last for a year or more.

I wondered whether my resin cored solder might be the cause of the problem, the roll I have is also years old.Can't see anything else that would cause a problem. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Bruce Varley

I have solder that is 30 years old. Other than a thin layer of lead oxide, it still works fine. The rosin still cleans the joint properly, but it was the best solder on the US market at the time. Find some liquid RMA rosin flux to help clean the joint. I used to use a lot of it to repair cold or pocket joints.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Bruce Varley"

** Errr - maybe try some fresh solder ??

Best avoid the " low flux residue " and lead free kinds.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I had a Weller soldering iron where I once worked, the thermostat/switch inside the barrel got stuck on causing it to get way too hot, not realising this soon after the tip was stuffed, the solder would not run onto it anymore. As I hadn't realised it was too hot ( I was only an apprentice at the time) I changed the tip, it worked fine for a couple days and then the same thing happened, after a couple of stuffed tips we realised what the problem was and changed the thermostat. Maybe your iron is getting too hot as well?

no

rapidly,

Reply to
Bodgey

I think Wellers have different temperature tips. They have a number on them that tells you the temperature they operate at. The tips are magnetic but lose the magnetism when hot and regain it when cooler, which operates a magnetic switch in the barrel of the iron. (I think).I haven't used one of their irons for a while.

Old solder sometimes gets a bit of an oxide layer on it that can cause "muck" to build up on the tip. Cleanliness is important for soldering.

Reply to
Davo

** Yep: 6 = 600 F 7 = 700 F 8 = 800 F

** The tips are solid copper, plated with steel - in fact.

BUT - hanging off the back are small lumps of iron with various " Curie points ".

First discovered by Pierre Curie, who was reasonably clever - for a frog.

** Spot on.

** Nor have I and very glad to be able to say that.
** Abso-blooming-lootely .....

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison