Carbon Flourescent Lamps ???

... with my sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended with my mention of a possible pun.

I can remember being shown round Ealing Film Studios as part of a 'management' course when it still had motor-generator sets in its 'power house' to supply DC mains for arc lamps. Must have been in the mid to late seventies. I thought at the time: why do generators always seem to end up having much larger diameters than alternators? Is it something to do with increasing the ripple frequency?

Chris

Reply to
christofire

"F Murtz"

** Something the lighting industry intends to make a lot of * dough * out of.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, in an old cinema projection room about 10 years ago. I doubt it had been energised for decades prior to that, and I wouldnt have risked turning it on after all that time without a thorough check of all the wiring in the place.

I also made one about 20 years back using carbon rods cut from out of "d" batteries, and powered it from a couple of 2v Lead acid batteries in series. Worked well, (for what it was) but doubt its very efficient. No mercury though ;)

Reply to
kreed

Geez....

Reply to