Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

Nov 16, 2009 2:04 PM
Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

1,200 percent more powerful than predecessor.

The most powerful supercomputer in Australia was unveiled today at the
National Computing Infrastructure (NCI) facility at the Australian
National University in Canberra.

The supercomputer was supplied by Sun Microsystems and contains 3,000
quad-core Intel Nehalem processors with 36TB of memory and a petabyte
filesystem.

Full story:
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

Yeah that's great, but will it handle running Xtree Gold?

Mark

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

I think you will need to move up to ZtreeWin Mark
:-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

to keyboard and composed:

"It has been estimated that 487 billion gigabytes of new digital data
was created in 2008. The Large Hardon Collider (LHC) will generate up
                               ^^^^^^
to 1,600MB of data per second when it is in full operation ... data
generated from Square Kilometer Array radio telescope, in one week of
operation, will equal all the words ever spoken by humanity."

Yes, but will it keep up with the written word, aka spam?

BTW, I think this is what the article's author meant to write:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

"The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and
highest-energy particle accelerator ..."

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

Sure but a "large HardOn Collider" did make me laugh :-)

MrT.

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

That web site sucks.
I can't access article  using FF 3.5.5 , I keep getting stuck on the promo
page and can't get any other page , I get stuck in an endless loop and get
re-directed back to the same promo page when I click on the link to "....
Continue to ITnews"

I did access the article using IE 6.0

--

Sandgroper
Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

I found it with FF 3.5.5, and have no problems.
not one of your settings or plug-ins?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

More than likely a lack of them so you can not view their frigging
animated adverts.

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

Are you running Adblock with FF ?

--

Sandgroper
Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

No, I am not.
I run no-script, but that wasn't a problem.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

Found the problem .
I had cookies set to block most web sites , once I allowed cookies for
www.itnews.com.au I was taken straight to the right web page.

--

Sandgroper
Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

I'm using Adblock Plus with FF 3.5.5 and it works fine.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

Works fine here, your settings suck.

Re: Australia's fastest supercomputer unveiled in Canberra

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:56:29 +0800, "Sandgroper"
composed:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

You can use Google's text-only cached version of the site:

http://74.125.153.132/search?strip=1&q=cache:http://www.itnews.com.au/News/160654,australias-fastest-supercomputer-unveiled-in-canberra.aspx

Just prefix any target URL with ...

http://74.125.153.132/search?strip=1&q=cache :

I have added this facility to the r-click menu in my browser (Opera)
and I use it whenever I suspect that the target URL will be
ad-infested.

Alternatively, you could send such URLs to a non-JS, non-Java browser
such as OffByOne.

- Franc Zabkar