Audiophool product of the week - Page 6

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:18:34 -0500) it happened Jamie

Actually I ment tooooooobes.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:59:59 GMT, Jan Panteltje

---
There's no 'e' in tooooooobs. ;)

JF

Re: Audiophool product of the week

   He's European.  They never spell anything right. :)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

There's no "f" in Panteltje :-)

Re: Audiophool product of the week

  And what relevance does that have on the subject ?

Re: Audiophool product of the week

TOTAL relevance to what I actually replied to, if you bothered to read it.

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

 Outdoor events, maybe?

 Much better to pipe the signal (wirelessly even) and amplify locally to
the transducer.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Well cat5 or fibre optic digital distribution is common now, but previously
it was 70/100V distribution.
Either way 250' speaker cables and low impedance speakers are NOT used,
except by morons.

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

goes to show how much you really do know..

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:15:03 -0500) it happened Jamie

Well, I have to agree with him.
Sorry but for long length you use 100V system, or put the amps next to the
speakers.
Or in the speakers.
Wireless is nice too, no reason not to do it in a hall or stadium, I have seen
local
small FM transmitters used outdoors in a bigger area.

But some audiofools will buy the stuff or use the stuff, why, beats me.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

speakers.
local
No sorry, I know about those systems, they are not intended for quality.
  although with enough equipment and money put in you can obtain it how
ever, getting to that level, you might as well directly wire it.

    This isn't a cheap ass announcement system and tinny music playing
in the noise..

   What does it matter any way? When you work in a place that makes
Thousands/Millions of FT of wire everyday.

   The sound shack has 4  1200W RMS stereo amps that get bridged and it
has a basic PA crap system which is a high voltage system with matching
  xfomers.. and that sounds like total shit!

  The 1200 Watt units how ever are sweat sounding audio.. This last
summer I spent the day pulling out the speakers, setting them up, and
blasting our grounds area in the back of the facility with hard rock for
a couple of hours until the security guard come down and shouted in my
ear to get my attention!. I guess I was disturbing the business next
door. Guard didn't mind though, he was kind of shocked that even listen
to that type of music.

   We also use a HV system in the facility for a public address system
that is coming off an old 2500 watt tube amp that is just about on it's
last leg! It has a nice set of tubes in it how ever. 6 3-500ZG in a
push pull config, etc.. The parts unit is running out of parts!

   When the day comes for retirement of that unit, the (new) spare tubes
  will be sprouting wings.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Hot 'n' steamy ?

geoff

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Ha, guess I slipped on that one!

  That's what you get for not paying attention to the
spell check!

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:56:42 -0500, Jamie

 It would not have registered an error without a grammar algo going as
well.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:46:31 -0500) it happened Jamie

Have you ever considred using speakers next to that amp,
and plastic or copper pipes to pipe the sound to big horns?

;-) just an idea...

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Thanks, but he obviously wasn't being sarcastic! :-)

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:58:49 -0500, Jamie

That's astonishing. The Er of the insulation must be in the thousands.
Unless it's some sort of flat foil construction.

John

Re: Audiophool product of the week

I just measured some of mine at about 100 pF/metre for twin core with
something like 5mm^2 of copper in fine stranded conductors. Provided the
wire is well up to the peak current required it will work fine.

It is a very bad idea to wire up hifi with grotty twincore bell wire.
That really is not up to the current carrying capacity.

There are some completely nutty audiofool cables around that present a
rather too large capacitive load to amplifiers and can make certain
unlucky combinations of amp and load unstable!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:15:03 +0000, Martin Brown

---
Cite an example, please?

JF

Re: Audiophool product of the week

You could always try out the following cable and a suitably flighty amp.

http://www.goertzaudio.com/mi.html

They vary from 1.5-5 nF/m which is enough to send some amplifiers into
wild oscillation in the 5-10MHz region for typical cable lengths. It was
more of a problem when insane amplifier bandwidth was all the rage.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Site Timeline