Automated Testing of Microcontroller Product

Hi,

I'm involved with an embedded product that controls a mechanical system for automobiles. Our testing process for each software release typically takes about 3 weeks, and is done by a person.

It seems we should be able to automate our testing of the product. But, in order to do this, we'd need to control with a computer the inputs to the product (discrete, A/D), the loads driven by the product, to simulate various electrical fault conditions (shorts, etc.); and of course to monitor how the software behaves to determine if it passes or fails each test.

Is there any hardware software framework in which to do this (perhaps a company makes a product involving A/D boards, etc.)? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks, Dave Ashley

Reply to
David T. Ashley

Suggest you check out Labview.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I used to work for B-Tree Systems, now known as TestQuest. They're probably the best in the business. They make a complete system, including target stimulus, monitoring, script recording and development, and test case management software.

It used to be the majority of our customers were medical device manufacturers, but we did develop systems for gas pumps and printers as well. As I understand it, they tend to concentrate on cell phone stuff these days, but they might be able to help you. Definitely not going to be cheap, however.

You might want to look at

as well. All I really know about him is that he was employed at B-Tree some of the time I was there. I think his business model is to make money on testing contracts rather than on test systems. He does have some stuff on his web site showing how it works.

HTH,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

I used to work for a company that did that very thing. Actually still do, but now design the product, not the tester. I assume you are looking for a "buck" tester or an End Of Line (EOL) type tester that is highly automated(ie pushing buttons, manipulating electrical inputs, etc) and not a durability/vibration/shock tester. We do both types(production and QC).

We generally did everything with COTS PC hardware and "custom" VB code. We had a pretty standard library of code base so we could turn a tester in reasonably short order. It generally takes longer to build the physical tester(nesting, pogo nests, wiring, etc) than to actually code it.

If you have interest, please contact me off list cyberzl1 AT yahoo DOT com

We have a lot experience in the automotive world, it is our primary customer base. We do some other stuff "on the side", but it isn't our major thing.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

Hello David,

If the inputs are rather simple you might get by with something like this but you'd probably have to write or at least customize some software:

If that ain't enough check out Spehro's suggestion.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg