Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/sm_F9N7129.jpg
http://satin.sensation.net.au/rowan/sm_F9N7130.jpg

It appears to be a power point. Found in a military warehouse that was
probably built around the mid 40s. Was this a special connector or did
it predate the standard 3 flat prongs?

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

On 28 Apr 2006 03:35:28 -0700, "rowan194"

Industrial power connection, multi-pole.
Still used today. Here is the modern day equivalent.
http://www.clipsal.com.au/trade/__data/page/81/I56.pdf

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

Thanks Ross. I suspected it was something like that, although I was
hoping it might be something more exciting. :)

One thing I found interesting is that the wall wiring appears to be
encapsulated in brass(?) tubing. Before I peeked inside I thought it
was some sort of air outlet.

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

On 28 Apr 2006 04:54:40 -0700, "rowan194"

I suspect the cable sheath is copper. Fireproof cables are commonly
used for fire protection systems and where industrial machinery is
connected. The most common brand of cable I know of for this
application is Pyrotenax.

http://www.tycothermal.com/uk/english/wiring /

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

It looks like a flameproof fitting for use in flameable situations  like
areas with solvents or other dangerous situations

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

Or explosives, in this case... :)

Re: Anyone recognise this mains power connector?

It's used wherever it gets hot. We use it on the boilers in a poer
station, but it's also used where it's important to have equipment
running in the event of a fire, such as a water pump. Also used on ships
and emergency equipment or where you need to run a big current through a
small cable.

Site Timeline