Recognise this trace?

Gentlemen,

The link below shows a scope trace of the output of a linear PSU (voltage

4.7VDC) with about 300mV of 100Hz ripple riding on it. This PSU is in- circuit under load from the boards it supplies. Normally I would assume a filter capacitor to be at fault here, but they all check out fine so something else is causing this ripple. Note there is a characteristic 'knee' on the high peaks and I'm thinking this must be indicative of *something* trouble is, I don't know what. If anyone recognises this waveshape and knows what causes it, that'd be "awesome" - as our American friends describe everything. Check it out:

public/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not sure what's causing it, but it's indicative of a non- linear load. The "knee" is where the load transitions from one value to a smaller value.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Surely, you jest.

Is the mystery load the hardware appearing in adjacent photos? EXIF says that they were taken 4 days earlier, which suggests a connection.

These photos looks odd: because C17 (the 2nd blue electrolytic from the right) seems to have been soldered into the wrong PCB holes. The white silk screen circle makes a good target for installing capacitors. If my crystal ball is correct, this capacitor might be presenting a higher than normal current load to the power supply, which is reacting by producing excessive ripple that you're seeing on the scope.

Is this the capacitor you removed from the board? If so, you ripped out the plated through hole. 4 terminal radial caps are not common, so I guess you substituted something else. What did you put in its place? Did you test and fix the PCB traces?

Oh, never mind. I found your rather ugly solder wick PCB fix: You might want to double (or triple) check your soldering and PCB through hole connections.

From this photo: there's a tuning screw, semi-rigid coax cable, and cavity filter on the left side. Too bad the power supply board is missing. There are some gold connector pins in the photo. So, what is it?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If it's your signal generator thing, yes, it's very possible / likely to have dried out caps (excess ESR).

Yes, the nippley appearance is likely ESR. But, if you say it's okay, then it must be okay. Right?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

If the adjacent photos were of any relevance, Jeff, I'd have mentioned it and linked to them.

All I did was replace an electro with one of identical parameters; it just happened to be a bit smaller than the original (which is not at all uncommon).

You're complicating this unduly and massively, Jeff. I simply posed a question about an oscilloscope trace, that's all.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You might get this when you have two caps separated by an inductor. First cap usually gets more peak charge current than the second one and develops high ESR first. Even if both caps are good, the inductor (or resistor) in between can cause this effect.

Reply to
mike

Someone on SER said a non-linear load could explain the shape of that trace and my initial reaction was that sounded quite plausible. However, on reflection I think if that *were* the case, then the knee would span

600-700mV (when the semis start conducting) and that isn't what we see here. The obvious thing to do next is whip off the output plugs from the PSU one by one and see if that clears the problem and if so, which sub- circuit is responsible for the overload as it may be nothing to do with the PSU at all.
Cursitor Doom

Cause: stored charge in the rectifiers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

a soft diode in the bridge rectifier?

David Eather

** The "knee" or bump on the saw tooth is caused by electro cap ESR.

If you add a say a 1 ohm resistor in series, the bump will get much larger.

The bump is visible, along with ripple, on most unregulated DC supplies.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The peak is definitely from the charge pulse from the rectifier. A capacitor-input PSU charges only 5 to 10 % of the half-cycle time, depending on the resistances and inductances in the charge path.

--

-TV
Reply to

----------------------------------

** Wrong on both claims.

The charging current pulse has the same duration as the rising part of the voltage waveform - about 15 to 30% of the half cycle period.

The bump is due to resistance in series with the capacitance - use a film cap and it disappears.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
-

When I tested this psu out-of-circuit with a dummy load I got less than

5mV of ripple on that rail. Now I may have too lightly-loaded the output, I can't say for sure, but that does tend to indicate to me I should check for shorted components down the line from the psu before I do anything else.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It took me

Reply to
Tom Gardner

-----------------------

** The REAL AC supply is not an good sine wave, it is normally somewhat flat topped. Take a look on a scope using a 10:1 probe.

Transformers have significant resistance in their windings, so you need to add some on the AC side of the simulation. The rising part of the saw tooth wave should not be too short, as it will be with zero source impedance.

If you wish to see reality, forget trying to sim it.

In this case grab any unregulated transformer wall wart, put a resistor across the output and scope the voltage across it.

Takes only seconds and leaves no room for doubt.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You achieved full-wave rectification using just the above parts? May we see this remarkable circuit, please?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Half wave rectification is sufficient to show your waveform.

Why do you think full-wave rectification is important? Which

*significant* aspect of your waveform would it change?
Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'd KF'd you previously due to your politics, but it seems your electronics is no better.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

For the record, you didn't answer his question. I'm genuinely curious now, too.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Kind of looks like the outline of my ex-wife.

Reply to
John S