ABC editor "PROG Delay" question

I am using a "Hot chip"/"ABC mini" with Atmel AVR AT90S8535 and I am using ABC editor to connect to pc with parallel port.

ABC editor can detect the hot chip and possible to read, erase, however it appear a "verify error" box when .hex is program to microcontroller

The question is as follow

1) I've found it is the issue of "PROG delay" in the manual, and it is require to set more than "750000" in fast computer, However my microcontroller still can not be work when 750000 to 1250000 is set on "PROG Delay".

2) Could you guys please suggest me a suitable/ easy way to connect "Hot chip"/ AT90S8535 to pc?

sommes

Avoid parallel port based programmers, especially the ones that require "tweaked" software delay routines. You are asking for a world of trouble, especially with todays fast modern PCs and O/S's that no longer directly support legacy ports. Get yourself a decent serial or USB based programmer and you'll sleep better at night.

Although in this case make sure your programming lead from the parallel port is as short as possible.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I never understand why people have all these crazy programmers for atmel... just get the 30$ ISP and use the the miso mosi reset and sck lines... isp plugs right into a serial port.

Reply to
DAC

If it is programming ok but failing verify, try to download the image and compare it to the original. If its complete random then thats your problem, if only some bytes seem to be random you have a clocking problem, atmels are pretty bad about this, try some better capacitors across all of the power pins on the mcu

Reply to
DAC

I use a 3m parallel cable... length doesn't seem to be an issue.

it's probably the software. or possibly the hardware. my programmer is the atmel parallel one (and I did see a site where someone had published the schematic), and the software either atmel's stuff (windows) or avrisp (linux)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

A lot can change depending on the driving impedances - strength of pullups etc. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for someone else. I've had the same problem with the MSP430 JFET.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Thanks...I work fine with "BASCOM-AVR" finally.

Reply to
sommes

the STK100 ISP was parallel port.. so history would be part of it.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts