$399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au

$399, how can you go wrong?

I just picked up 2 at the 12:00 sale.
asus eeepc 1000HE, 9 hour battery life.
and it is one of the best netbooks around.

Geez, how much are Asus making them for?
What does Micro$oft charge Asus for XP?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Thanks Don
I just nabbed one for a present, gotta love spur of the moment decisons!
Anyone have any idea how long typical shipping takes from this mob?, they
say 7-10 days.
Hoping to get it by next Friday...

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I think last time for me, it was 8 days, so you may be lucky Dave.

I have made many purchases from them, but I never got anything in 3 or 4
days. :-(

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Thanks, fingers crossed.
Who do they use for shipping?

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Sorry, can't recall Dave, I get too many things shipped to me.
I think it takes 3 or 4 days before they notify you that the goods have
been sent, so it isn't speedy.

see what they are saying on their page right now:

1100 Netbooks sold in just over an hour and a half of sales! Just to be
fair to all of our evening customers, we are releasing the next batch at
7pm(AEST) and the final batch at 11pm(AEST). Make sure you're here for
the next batch at 7pm(AEST) so you don't miss out on this fantastic deal!

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Insane!
How many of these things do they have?
And do they actually have them in stock or are they drop-shipped?
With this many I think my odds of getting it next week are close to zip.

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I got on of these back in June of this year, and it was shipped from
them in Oz. Mind you, it may well have been couriered in from Asia, like
Dell do it. Thus the 8 or so days.

Actually, I just chased back in my emails:
I ordered the same product on 19-Jun-2009
then got the following message on the 23-June-2009:
Your order 478627 has been dispatched with Australia Post. Please allow
3-9 business days for delivery.

So that's 4 days from order to dispatch date, and Oz post after that.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Thanks for the tip Don, I just ordered mine.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Good catch Don! I just got one for my wife, I paid just over $600 for
mine 5 months ago.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Looks like they may be end of life. Just got a promo from CentreCom who have
them for $419 down from $469
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id39%318

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

That is the older H version, has the old keyboard and shorter battery life.

The HE is an upgrade to the H family.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Great, mine was $619 in June.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

A full 10" screen eh....

I've seen a 13" wide screen HP and even banging up a notch
the DPI to 120 it is only just readable.

So the question is, how usable is it?

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem
with it is the tiny shift key.

The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've
never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down,
WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock
speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or take.

I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

said...
:
:keithr wrote:
<snip>
:> I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem
:> with it is the tiny shift key.
:>
:> The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've
:> never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down,
:> WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock
:> speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or
:> take.
:> I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied.
:
:Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.

Would RAM really chew that much extra power though?

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Very unlikely, SODIMM RAM uses very little power

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

:
:Je▀us wrote:
:> said...
:> :
:> :keithr wrote:
:> <snip>
:> :> I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem
:> :> with it is the tiny shift key.
:> :>
:> :> The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've
:> :> never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down,
:> :> WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock
:> :> speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or
:> :> take.
:> :> I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied.
:> :
:> :Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.
:>
:> Would RAM really chew that much extra power though?
:
:Very unlikely, SODIMM RAM uses very little power

That's what I thought.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Wouldn't make that much difference

More memory will use more juice, but your saving less access to the
disk and the disk would be powered down more often. So it sort of
balances out.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Only if the ram power down time is very very short and there is no power
and significanttime penalty on spin up.

I thought the idea of HD spin down was to save power when the machine was
idle. So, if the cpu is doing work over a certain load, it would be
expecting to use the HD swap space or access the HD anyway and thus have
it spinning.

Site Timeline