world wide Pi shortage

anyone lse seeing this?

-- (aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie' "Straighten up and fly right"

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

What country are you buying in and what model(s) are you having trouble in obtaining?

Reply to
Richard Jones

Pi hut in the UK is out of about half the models

COVID 19 has really disrupted things

private property.

Karl Marx
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It it just that, or something to do with the current chip shortage (supposably the result of many combined factors)?

Anyway, Farnell still have a few. I'm not sure whether they normally have more in stock, in general they tend to have many items on back order. RS don't seem to have much stock but it's harder to check on their site.

Core Electronics here in Australia still seem to have plenty.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

I'd guess it's the chip shortage. I recently ordered a CM3+ from China, the same seller had hiked the price to almost double in the few weeks since. I did find someone else with the old prices though (about 40 euros for the 32 GB model). A local seller in Finland said his distributor estimates October for delivery.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Well in the RealWorld? nothing is ever 'caused' by just one thing, but COVID led to a surge in purchase of tech and chip supplies are stretched with some factories under normal production levels due to lockdown etc..double whammy.

I buy a lot of stuff from China, and there also things are out of stock that normally are not

--
?Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.?

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apparently not: "The current global semiconductor shortage ? which you?ll almost certainly have read about by now ? is constraining our supply of the original PoE HAT. In general, we?re weathering the shortage very well, and the supply of mainline Raspberry Pi computers, Zeros and our other products have not been affected (we?re very good at pipelining). Unfortunately, the first-gen PoE HAT uses silicon that?s in short supply."

A. Dumas

Yes I think chip shortages are impacting globally all sorts of supply chains now :(

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
Reply to

the place I'm currently working on RPi with has several thousand systems to ship in the next few weeks (the RPi is a touch screen controller for them). They were able to find some, but at a significantly higher price. The normal channels all ran out and have apparently told most of their customers to extend lead times by several weeks.

So maybe they're just out of _INEXPENSIVE_ ones...