SIXTYFORTH?

It does spend a lot of time. It's still worth doing a processor context switch (at around 500ns) than it is waiting for the I/O, even from an NVMe device; the I/O software stack is becoming a major component of the delay, but it's still less than the device respnse time.

And never will be. The next technology wave is persistent memory (PM), not NVMe. NVMe sits on a PCIe bus, which is bandwidth and latency limited. PCIe was always about building to a price, not for performance.

There are other much faster bus technologies in the offing; CCIX, GEN-Z, OpenCAPI for example. A good overview of these;

PM sits directly on the memory bus. In other words, you don't do block IO to these new memory devices; you do loads and stores. Currently PM latency is in the high hundreds of nS to single digit uS, so it sits between DRAM (which is not persistent, single didgit ns to low 10s of

ms depndant on the software stack and bus).

SNIA (a storage standards organisation) covers a lot of the background

Smaller gate sizes paradoxically increases the power consumption and hence heat generated per volume of silicon.

I disagree; big data centers definitely need faster everything. The more data you have and need to number crunch, the harder it becomes to move it around, and the big push right now is providing very high speed RDMA (memory to memory through smart network cards that don't involve the CPU) type links between storage and processors to make this easier.

--
Alex
Reply to

I think its a bit like the EU. OOP as a paradigm to structure how you solve a problem is useful thing to have - as is voluntary international co-operation.

It's having it forced on you that is irritating especially on people who neither need it nor want it.

--
There?s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er no. Most of the time I have absolutely no reason to use any I/O at all

It's still worth doing a processor context

I fail to see where you are going with that.

So SSDS get faster. It doesnt help me because I only use the disk for loading programs

MY bottlenecks are CPU/GPU and network.

It depends on the data centre.

A vonsuklatnt I know works for IBM trashing thgiusanmds of PC cahssis runiung windoes server for comany departmets and porting the apps onto vurtyualised windows servers on bladess.

By and large these servers exist to do very little, maybe run one workgroup app, and that at a really low utilisation factor. Onec in a VM they go into idle mode and stay there all the time

Huge savings in space and power and indeed mainetance

They domnt need more power, just more servers.

kind word alone.

Al Capone
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You said "no time on I/O wait", not that there was no to little I/O, which is a different scenario.

In other words, I/O is very slow indeed in comaprison with the CPU, even when using the fastest NVMe flash devices available.

No, SSDs don't get faster. Persistent memory is a new class of memory; it's not based on NAND Flash, because it isn't a byte addressable medium; that's why it's used to build disk-like systems. SSDs are nearing their peformance barrier, and have been for a number of years.

Your bottleneck is a classic storage problem; if you're hammering CPU/GPU *and* the network, then the data is in the wrong place.

Sorry, even correcting the fumbled spelling, that doesn't make any sense.

--
Alex
Reply to

Well the one implies the other :-)

Oh yes. No argument there.

No. The data is in the wrong format :-)

I rip a lot of DVDS and edit off-air recordings

And play real time games

And my internet connection is slow...

The needs of many large corprates are lots of windows servers, that dont do a lot

The power and space saving comes from virtualisation of them into one box, not from extra CPU Mips per watt.

--
Any fool can believe in principles -  and most of them do!
Reply to

No - that's the whole point. It doesn't.

--

john

http://johntech.co.uk

Reply to
john

Great idea. I have a 8080 processor here. How hard would it be to port SIXTYFORTH to it?

Bruce.

https://www.avg.com
Reply to
Bruce Axtens