How well do newer Raspberry Pi models play HD video from web?

How well do the newer Raspberry Pi models play HD video from the
web? I'm looking for an inexpensive solution that can play video
from arbitrary web pages (which rules out Roku). I never could
get the original Raspberry Pi I bought a few years ago to play
live video very well, even with the GPU acceleration license key
installed.
Thanks.
--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Emanuel Berg
Flash is a well known CPU/GPU hog.
I can get a 'scrap' PC - fully working in case with PSU that loaded with linux is capable of outperforming a Pi byu a factor of at least ten.
7-20 year old 64 bit machines are ten a penny.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
TNP> 7-20 year old 64 bit machines are ten a penny.
AL> 20 year old 64 bit machines?
DEC Alpha boxen? :-)
-Andy Ball
Reply to
Andy Ball
With a power consumption best measured in hundreds of watts though. A Pi 3, an Odroid or even an S905 based TV box also outperform a Pi by at least a factor of ten with much lower power consumption.
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
tens of watts.
Indeed. But is that the issue here?
--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
20 year old 64 bit machines? Not 'scrap' PCs then. 1996 and we had basic Pentiums running at 200Mhz - so still 32 bit. I wouldn't think a PC of that vintage would outperform a Pi.
--
Andy Leighton => andyl@azaal.plus.com
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andy Leighton
Not always. My desktop machine is a quad-core I5 Fujitsu Esprimo and it typically consumes around 20 watts, even with three hard disk drives and 8Gb memory.
It *is* difficult to find actual power consumption figures though so it can be a bit of a lottery getting what you want.
--
Chris Green
Reply to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Very much so. I run temperature monitors on GPU and CPU on this linux machine. Playing real time games doubles the power on the GPU and editing videos doubles the CPU....;-)
Eealy pentiums are to be avoided. Power hogs. But dual core celerons are a lot better.
twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
here is something of interest in this context. CPUs to snog, marry or avoid...

Not that none of these actually dissipate that when just idling.
6-8W is probably typical
Core 2 duo architectures are very good power performance
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
That's what is always said but I've nover noticed it in practice. The above Esprimo idles at about 18 watts and I've never managed to push it up to more than 24 watts or so.
--
Chris Green
Reply to
Chris Green
They're ancient though aren't they? I've found the later versions of I3 and I5 much better than my old Core xx processors.
--
Chris Green
Reply to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
But consume more power. The best I managed with that generation of processors was around 44 watts idling (now running as my backup machine).
--
Chris Green
Reply to
Chris Green
Yes, I must admit I rarely stress the graphics, I don't play games at all.
--
Chris Green
Reply to

Rick C