Security aspects Closed Source HPLIP

Am Mon, 13 May 2019 12:58:12 +0000 schrieb Dan Purgert:

That's partly right. I said there were tons of c files, py scripts and so on, but nevertheless there are several shared objects (*.so) "shipped as is" in the run file already.

So, finally, I don't consider them to be dangerous, but what remains is the conclusion, that the tarball in question is not pure open source.

Many thanks to everyone who helped to clear the things!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

"Too big to be portable?" Sounds like an old laptop, with older processor/memory/hard drive. I have a 15-inch HP Probook, circa 2010, that is quite portable and hasn't taken any longer to boot Mageia than any of my other hardware, and since replacing the mechanical hard drive with an ssd, it takes seconds to boot.

I also have an ancient (circa 2002) Dell laptop that I keep around just for testing purposes. It's heavy for its size, has a 32-bit P4, and an IDE hard drive. It takes a long time to do just about anything, compared to my newer hardware, including boot. But that's a reflection on the type of hardware involved, not the brand name.

TJ

Reply to
TJ

Am 08.05.19 um 21:47 schrieb Markus Robert Kessler:

You are really desinformed! launchpad.org is not properitary. This is the source oif each driver of printers from HP.

It is your decision to by anythinbg from somebody. If you buy somethinbg yoiu decides about the conditions the creator of it has created it. Why has you buyed it?

There is nothing on the world that you have a must to buy something that does NOT fit your needs and requires it.

I love HP because it pays for the community that produces its drivers.

Reply to
Herbert Rosenau