RPI3 speedtest-cli and 'sudo apt-get update' problems

One problem is that apt-transport-https... is a package not yet installed.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

I tried to make a VPN with my router (FTTH) of the main house and sudo apt-get update always gives me errors 404

Now I wanted to try apt https I modified etc/apt/sources.list and changed http with https but sudo apt-get update now tells me: "The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found. N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?"

Then I installed it: sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https But the RPI says: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed: apt-transport-https

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded. E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found. N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed?

I have also tried: sudo apt-get install ca-certificates

but it does not work !!!!!! :/

Did I do something wrong ?

--
Roby
Reply to

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 21:37:46 +0200, Roby declaimed the following:

Well -- your first (snipped) comment is that you changed the sources file to require https:

So naturally the install is looking to download the https package /using/ https which isn't installed.

If you were out visiting this remote machine (as I recall, you've mentioned using other hardware at the site for testing), you should have brought back the SD card -- installed/booted an RPi with a properly configured network, made all your updates/upgrades, and then taken that card back to the remote site on your next trip... {I'd suggest making duplicate SD cards -- and keeping one at home so you can perform updates/upgrades to it, and then take it to the remote site and just swap SD cards... bringing the older one back to have updates/upgrades applied...}

Dennis Lee Bieber

Remember you can also push .deb packages to the remote site using sftp

And manually install them.

You do not *have* to use apt-get on the remote machine.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Oh. One thing that you may or may not have tried..

IF there is a bad cache in your upstream ISPs proixies, you may be able to defeat that by changing package *sources* - are ther any pi mirrors in other countries you could try?

there are!

I'd try UK kent university. Genrally well maintained

find some that work on your local machine - edit sources.list and just do apt-get update - and then apply them to the remote machine.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
emissions and more adverse environmental impact by adding intermittent
renewable energy.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I took your advice I modified /etc/apt/sources.list adding in the head 'deb

' (University of Kent) as indicated on the site you gave me

Unfortunately the result is this: E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist) E: The list of sources could not be read.

Do you have advice? Maybe it should be written differently and not like I did with copy and paste ? Sorry but I have little experience with linux Thank you

CLARIFICATIONS I am now in the house where I have the RPI3 with 404 errors and speedtest-cli with zero upload .... Before leaving I took the SD of this RPI3 that I had cloned 1 year ago and updated it at home where I have internet with FTTC. The update, as mentioned in my previous posts, was successful so when I arrived here I replaced the SD in the RPI3 which has problems. But the 404 errors and zero download with speedtest-cli remained Everything else works (in the 4G LAN I have video surveillance, intrusion detection, temperature detection with RPI, UPS APD management with RPI, etc. .....)

--
Roby
Reply to

This is mine.

$ more /etc/apt/sources.list

deb

stretch main contrib non-free rpi

Copy that, substituting the site and the correct version name.

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well you did it wrong then. Sorry to be hard but this thread has been running for ages and you are not getting anywhere.

Practice setting up the VPN using a Pi at home and when you have that working, replicate the setup on the remote machine. If that means you physically need to be located at the remote site then you will not be able to go further until you are there.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I have tried but still 404 errors I give up ... I don't know what to do anymore :'(

--
Roby
Reply to

WEll deliberately or not, I think you are lying. Take the SD card out of the offending PI and insert one that works from your local site.,

See if the problem is the site, or the SD card software

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

INCREDIBLE NOOOOO - PROBLEM SOLVED !!!! I apologize to all of you who have tried to help me with this apparently inexplicable technical problem with the RPI3. I'm really sorry !!! The problem was caused by a filter inserted in the AVM Fritz! Box 3390 router more than 2 years ago (which I had forgotten) due to attacks on my RPI3 ..... unknown had entered my remote RPI and I had been forced to format the card SD and reinstall everything ..... then to definitively resolve the intrusions I had configured the authentication with RSA key ..... But I had forgotten that intrusion filter. Sorry sorry sorry Thanks to all of you for your patience I became old ..... I forget things ... :'(

--
Roby
Reply to

How can a filter give a 404 error on the server?

How can a filter give a 404 error on a server?

..I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not familiar with the Fritz!boxes, but it seems they have a setting

"Allow HTTPS queries"

I suppose it's possible if the https setting is disabled, it intercepts port 443 traffic and returns a fixed 404 response ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But the OP was getting an error on a particular IP address and on http traffic and the error was not 'cant see the server'

This is terribly reminiscent of 'T' who asks seemingly noob questions that everyone tries to answer and then says 'oh I fixed it' and then either says he used the method that the very first poster suggested, and which he denied worked, or comes up with a meaningless explanation...like this.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

I'm sorry, but mine wasn't a joke ... it was a real problem ... When I realized that in the router there was a filter created 2 years ago to prevent RPI attacks, I immediately deleted it and immediately the RPI started working again .... I didn't bother to see how I created this filter 2 years ago ... I just deleted it ... How come it creates 404 errors I don't know .... and now I don't care anymore .... my goal was to overcome the problem and have the complete remote RPI management ... I hope you believe me, it wasn't a joke ... and I asked for help here because I didn't know what to do anymore ....

My explanation in fact may seem meaningless .... but the fact really happened .... I too wondered what kind of filter I had created 2 years ago to have these very strange disservices ... But this is pure reality I hope you believe me ...

--
Roby
Reply to