RPI3 speedtest-cli and 'sudo apt-get update' problems

On 22/03/2019 13:46, Roby wrote: > Err

jessie/main armhf Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 46.235.227.11 80]

404 error is not "I cannot see the server", but "the server cannot find the file!"

So it is NOTHING to do with your network connection!

Sorry that was a red herring.

I have seen this occasionally when distros are being updated.

Hmm.. Jessie was last updated on the 21st..

y'know I BET that somehow you are using a proxy server and it has cached an incomplete and old version of what is on that server.

One possible way - I'd ask others to comment - to circumvent that is to use https instead of http.

So modify the remote sources.list to use https.

proxy servers usually pass that straight through.

You will get errors from:

stretch InRelease Failed to connect to raspbian.raspberrypi.org port 443: Connection refused

but my pi DID connect to archive.raspberrypi.org

So once its done that, go back to the old sources.list and try and install whatever you need.

Its bloody hard to circumvent mobile phone ISP proxy servers. Pain in the arse.

Lucas Bergkamp
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I modified /etc/apt/sources.list by entering 'deb

jessie main contrib non-free rpi' but the result of 'sudo apt-get update' is this: E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found. N: Is the package apt-transport-https installed? Also tried 'sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https' but nothing has changed Removed https from sources.list nothing has changed Also done the reboot :-?

--
Roby
Reply to

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 14:38:03 +0100, Roby declaimed the following:

If you have SSH, you probably also have SFTP.

Given SFTP, you can transfer Debian packages to the device, and install from local package file.

I leave obtaining the Debian package file, and the install command, as an exercise...

Dennis Lee Bieber

sigh. I am on stretch and it worked by default...:-(

--
Any fool can believe in principles -  and most of them do!
Reply to

Thank you anyway for your cooperation

I also tried to insert the IP addresses in /etc/hosts and the result does not change .... just writes 'Err

jessie / main armhf Packages 404 Not Found ' without highlighting the IP ..... so you're right: can't find the files ... !!!

That's enough ! I got tired of trying.. I hope that those who have had this SAME problem read this thread ... and tell me how it is solved. Otherwise when I go to the remote location I will try to investigate further

@Dennis Lee Bieber Thanks also to you for the suggestion but I have never tried to install remotely via SFTP ... it would also be a long thing because the packages are so many .... and I wouldn't risk blocking the rpi3 because I need it to check the APC UPS remotely (in the remote site I have video surveillance and alarm system ...)

--
Roby
Reply to

Try this

grep proxy /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*

just in case a proxy is configured

dont give up, its close now to at least knowing WHAT the problem is

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the etc/apt directory there are no apt.conf.d* files therefore no proxy is configured ;-)

After all the tests I've done we might think that in jessie repo there are no files that rpi3 searches with 'apt-get update' or other commands .... However, this hypothesis is denied by the correct functioning of the second rpi3 that I have at home :'(

--
Roby
Reply to

I can't say with certainty that there would be no problems with that. But surely you have a Raspberry Pi locally you could try out the upgrade on?

---druck

Reply to
druck

Yes I have the local RPI3 which has the same functions as the remote one. But I have to do the tests later because in this period I have no time .... Or I wait for the RPI4 to be released :D

--
Roby
Reply to

Except you should have been looking in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ for files. Your propensity for typo's makes me wonder if that's the problem.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, I was wrong to explain but the result is what is important: grep: etc/apt/apt.conf.d*: No such file or directory

Regarding your sentence "Your propensity for typo's makes me wonder if that's the problem" I think it's a non-constructive evaluation that you could avoid doing.

--
Roby
Reply to

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 22:05:42 +0100, Roby declaimed the following:

And you repeat one potential error again... Ignoring the use of grep (which is a utility that looks /inside/ files for strings)

etc/apt/apt.conf.d

as you show is NOT the same as

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ ls etc/apt/apt.conf.d ls: cannot access etc/apt/apt.conf.d: No such file or directory

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ ls /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

01autoremove 100update 20listchanges 50unattended-upgrades 01autoremove-kernels 20auto-upgrades 50raspi 70debconf pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$
Dennis Lee Bieber

On 2019 Mar 23 22:05:42, you wrote to All:

Ro> Yes, I was wrong to explain but the result is what is important: Ro> grep: etc/apt/apt.conf.d*: No such file or directory

the '/' you left out before the '*' is important... it is just as important as the one you left out at the beginning of the path ;)

grep proxy etc/apt/apt.conf.d*

is not the same as

grep proxy etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*

is not the same as

grep proxy /etc/apt/apt.conf.d*

is not the same as

grep proxy /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*

this last one is the proper one...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... Don't mind him, he's about 5 minutes behind reality.

Reply to
mark lewis

Because you typed it wrong.

Perhaps you think it's OK to type an approximation of a command and expect to get a star for effort, but computers do what you tell them to, not what you want them to.

Reply to
Rob Morley

---cut

Rob Morley wrote:

----cut

I don't have much experience with the RPI and I don't know many commands. This in fact is the reason why I asked for help here to understand how to solve the problems described in my previous posts ..... Regarding the 'grep' command I had never used it (I had seen that it allowed to find strings inside files) and I trusted myself to use the syntax suggested to me, assuming it was the right one .... After your posts I saw the error! However, my syntax errors in some commands (for now only with 'grep'!) I don't think they can be related to the problems described in my previous posts! I refer of course to the download speed zero Mbit/s of speedtest-cli and to the errors 404 with the command 'sudo apt-get update' of my RPI3 installed at 500 Km from where I live normally. Thanks anyway to all those who tried to help me.

Returning to technical problems: as soon as I go to the remote site, I would try to move the RPI3 LAN cable to a 100 Mbps mini switch because it is now connected to a TL-SG1008PE Gigabit PoE switch and one of the things I did not understand is why the RPI3 which has a 100 Base Ethernet port with the command 'sudo mii-tool' shows 'eth0: negotiated

1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok'
--
Roby
Reply to

Thes all point to some issue with networking, probably use of a transpernt (or in tusi cas nit so much) proxy service by the mobile ISP

You are, it seems, not alone:

This is likely a bug in mii-tool, nota probelm in networkong

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The command line requires you to get every character correct, and will not understand leaving the leading slash off /etc/apt/apt.conf.d

There's no point in getting upset about it.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Perfect !!! Even the mii-tool bug !! Considering that I can't install other functions to manage eth0 the mii-tool bug is perfect !!!. ;-) Thanks anyway for letting me know ...

--
Roby
Reply to

On 2019 Mar 25 18:53:14, you wrote to The Natural Philosopher:

Ro> [...] and that in your opinion 404 errors cannot be generated due to Ro> SD problems ...

404 codes are http codes... http doesn't have anything to do with the basic OS operations on your system... that is not a theory, opinon or hypothesis ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... It's amazing what you can do with a little apple juice.

Reply to
mark lewis

On 2019 Mar 25 21:39:26, you wrote to me:

Ro> But if due to the SD problems (read only) sudo apt-get update can't Ro> write the updates in the SD,

then you will get "access denied"...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... Abdicate (v.) to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

Reply to
mark lewis