Bluetooth locks up RPI3

On a whim I tried turning on bluetooth on my rpi3 to see if it could connect to an iPad mini. The Pi's mouse kept tracking and LXTerminal windows could be brought (sporadically) into and out of the foreground, but key entry became impossible and none of the menu bar icons responded.

Thinking it might be something to do with the iPad, I power cycled the Pi and tried again with the iPad turned off. Same story; the only way out seems to be pulling the plug

The Pi was updated just a few minutes before and is at Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Any suggestions on fixes or workarounds?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

If this is easily reproducible with standard packages, which it sounds as if it is, raise a bug report against Raspbian. That is what publicly accessible bugzillas are for.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Yes: disable bluetooth :( The user interface guy Simon-something also built the GUI bluetooth integration and it sucks. His modus operandi seems to be: it looks good and it works for me so this is now the official standard.

sudo apt-get -y purge pulseaudio sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove sudo nano /boot/config.txt Add line: dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt Exit & save: Ctrl-X, Y, Enter sudo systemctl disable hciuart sudo reboot

Extra advantage: you can now freely use the debug console again on GPIO pins 14+15. See e.g.

A. Dumas

Ok, sounds like it's a known problem. Simply staying away from the bluetooth icon in the menu bar has so far sufficed to keep me out of trouble. For now, that will suffice.

Thanks to all for reading and replying!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska