RPI3 speedtest-cli and 'sudo apt-get update' problems

I use several "WD - Elements SE Portable Hard Drive" and an older WD Pi-Drive. All have just a USB connection, and are powered by that USB connection. They work fine with a modern Raspberry Pi. I even have one working with an old Pi 1 B+.

My only concern is that they are appear to be designed for occasional use, not for being on all the time. Even so, I use one in my always-on home server, a raspberry pi 3B with a WD USB drive. It's been working for nearly 18 months. My backup server is the Pi 1B+ with a large capacity WD USB drive.

These disks are mostly sold for external backup or portable storage. The disks inside are 2.5" drives and take maximum, roughly, 0.5A of current, which is well below the 1A max for the Pi USB total current. I have not succeeded in using 2 such drives on a Pi - the Pi doesn't boot. The in rush current on start up is too much.

I think you will find the general performance of the Pi will be a better with a USB connected hard drive or SSD. The speed of the SD card interface is not brilliant.

good luck. Jim

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I found in the drawer an old 2.5" 30Gb Hitachi Model DK23EA-30 ATA100 disk (2MB buffer size) that I will put in a USB-ATA box. Although the HD has low performance I think it should be fine .... so even the USB2 port is not fast ... When I go to the remote location I will try to mount it .... Thanks Jim Bob

--
Roby
Reply to

Dude. I have:

1x RPi official power adapter, rated at 2.5 A. 1x RPi 3 model B+ (a.k.a. 3B+), see
1x Seagate "Backup Plus" 2.5in portable HDD, with a USB connection.

NOTHING MORE. NO SEPARATE POWER ADAPTER FOR THE HARD DISK. I wanted to write bus-powered but thought usb-powered was clearer. I guess not :(

***Apparently*** the standard current available from the RPi3 usb ports is enough for my hdd, and my guess is it's enough for most 2.5" portable drives.
Reply to
A. Dumas

All clear ! Thanks again

--
Roby
Reply to

Expected.

I saw a reference to clock issues with certs, so what does date show?

date Wed Mar 27 11:50:31 EDT 2019

Is your clock right? if not, correct it and try again. If it is correct, read on.

I think that means the site answering your wget request is using a certificate that wget can't verify against the public key. I find that to be suspicious. Do you have the package ca-certificates installed?

dpkg -l | grep ca-certificates

what happens when you do the "wget https://..." from the pi that works correctly?

This is what I get:

$ wget

--2019-03-27 11:19:09--

Resolving archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)... 93.93.130.39, 46.235.227.11, 93.93.128.133, ... Connecting to archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)|93.93.130.39|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 708766 (692K) Saving to: ?Packages?

Try this from the wonky pi:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect archive.raspberrypi.org:443

It'll spew stuff much of which looks like gibberish, but, you'll see a section like this near the end:

Server certificate subject=/OU=Domain Control Validated/OU=PositiveSSL Wildcard/CN=*.raspberrypi.org issuer=/C=GB/ST=Greater Manchester/L=Salford/O=COMODO CA Limited/CN=COMODO RSA Domain Validation Secure Server CA

That's what I got, but run the openssl command from your good pi and see if they match. If they don't, you may have a clue as to whom the certificate belongs.

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

You're right, the date was wrong, I didn't realize it !!! With sudo raspi-config and with 'Internationalization options' I have reconfigured everything (the default values were strangely right!)then I rebooted Yes, to access the RPI3 I installed an RSA key.

After correcting the date and rebooting now https works::

--------------- pi@MyPi:~ $ wget

converted '
' (ANSI_X3.4-1968) -> '
' (UTF-8)

--2019-03-27 18:43:41--

Resolving archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)...

93.93.128.230, 93.93.135.188, 46.235.227.11, ... Connecting to archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)|93.93.128.230|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 708766 (692K) Saving to: 'Packages'

Packages 100%[=====================>] 692.15K 86.9KB/s in

7.6s 2019-03-27 18:43:49 (91.0 KB/s) - 'Packages' saved [708766/708766]

-----------------

But nothing has changed with 'sudo apt-get update' ... always 404 errors !!! Thank you Do you have other tips ?

--
Roby
Reply to

The Pi 2, 3 & 3+ can power ab SSD (the best option), or a 2.5" SATA drive which can be powered from a single USB port. Anything larger which requires a USB Y adaptor needs a powered hub.

You either need a USB external drive, a USB drive caddy to put a bear drive in to, or just an USB to SATA converter plugged directly in to an SSD.

---druck

Reply to
druck

----cut

After a day the date is still configured correctly, and https (wget \https...) continues to run without errors... but with http there is always the 404 error: pi@MyPi:~ $ wget \

converted '
' (ANSI_X3.4-1968) -> '
' (UTF-8)

--2019-03-28 11:05:05--

Resolving archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)...

93.93.130.39, 93.93.135.188, 93.93.128.133, ... Connecting to archive.raspberrypi.org (archive.raspberrypi.org)|93.93.130.39|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found 2019-03-28 11:05:05 ERROR 404: Not Found.

--------

But I did not understand what it means .... in the repository there are no files that RPI3 asks for ? If any expert has any other suggestions ... it's welcome...

--
Roby
Reply to

Roby wrote, on 28-03-2019 11:17:

It won't do harm because \h simply means h but the backslash was only for line continuation: at the end of a line, it means "the command on this line continues on the next line". If you type everything on one line anyway, there's no need for the \.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I did not know ;-) Thanks for telling me

--
Roby
Reply to

On 2019 Apr 02 23:22:46, you wrote to All:

Ro> connected to a 1000 switch) everything works normally BUT:

please define ""normally""...

Ro> - the 404 error with sudo apt.get update is the same as before; Ro> - with speedtest-cli the download is ZERO Mbit/s as before.

Ro> MYSTERY :/ !!! I do not know what to do. Ro> If someone comes to mind something will be welcome, just let me know Ro> what commands to give ....

try a traceroute to google and see if you get a valid address returned and a working route...

traceroute

-- for the whiners ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... Sex is better than logic. You can't prove it, but it is.

Reply to
mark lewis

Tests from the REMOTE site. From my usual home, before going to the remote location, I updated the SD16 GB backup card of the remote RPI3. After typing sudo apt-get update and then upgrade everything went fine. The RPI3 has now installed 4.9.35-v7 + # 1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU / Linux and everything is working properly. I go to the remote location, the one with Huawei E392 USB 4G and AVM

3390 router, I connect the RPI3 to a 10/100 switch (previously it was connected to a 1000 switch) everything works normally BUT:

- the 404 error with sudo apt.get update is the same as before;

- with speedtest-cli the download is ZERO Mbit/s as before.

MYSTERY :/ !!! I do not know what to do. If someone comes to mind something will be welcome, just let me know what commands to give .... Thank you

--
Roby
Reply to

Can you test with a SIM from a different network in the 4G router?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In my previous posts there is the whole story ... summarizing:

- from the normal home with FTTH internet, with RPI3 of the normal home everything works, even inserting the sim 16 GB (clone) of the remote RPI3;

- the remote RPI3 (second home 500 km from the normal home) that works with Huawei E392 USB 4G and AVM 3390 router even inserting the updated SIM with the RPI3 of the normal home creates the same problems as before (error 404 with update and download speedtest-cli zero)

--
Roby
Reply to

mark lewis ha spiegato il 02/04/2019 :

Normal operation means that all the functions set in the RPI3 work without problems (APC UPS control .... local temperature control ... etc. This sim mounted in the RPI3 of the normal house (with internet FTTC) does not create any problem .... in fact before going to the remote house (4G) I made all the updates (sudo apt-get update and ugrade) without errors .

What doesn't work is sudo apt-get update (errors 404) and speedtest-cli (download zero, upload OK). With the notebook connected to the LAN (Huawei E392 USB 4G and AVM 3390 router) tracert google.com works. Ping

or ping google.com and other sites also work. My 4G network uses a dynamic PUBLIC IP, so it's not even a problem of nat ...

--
Roby
Reply to

I didn't say test a different SD card in the rPi, I said a different SIM card in the 4G USB dongle.

Reply to
Andy Burns

did you try rebooting the router?

its shoes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry No, I don't have another sim with these features (public ip ....) I need a public IP due to video surveillance and also intrusion detection system But everything works, excluding the two things in the RPI3 ..... I don't think it's a 4G sim problem

--
Roby
Reply to

Tried some time ago and nothing has changed

--
Roby
Reply to

Your ISP is doing strange things to http routing. Use a VPN or https. You've shown https works, so make use of it with apt.

Reply to
mm0fmf