rpi-eeprom packages are upgraded but firmware doesn't change?

I've noticed this several times recently:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
[I tell it yes]
$ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
BCM2711 detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Tue 10 Sep 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110)
LATEST: Tue 10 Sep 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110)
FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000137ad
LATEST: 000137ad
I'm just curious --- why are the packages being upgraded if the
content that goes in the bootloader and VL805 doesn't need to be
changed?
Also, I've noticed that these packages are now automatically being
included and upgraded on my Pi 0W --- I assume they are just ignored
by anything other than a model 4?
--
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don?t have to
worry about the answers.                         ---Thomas Pynchon
Reply to
Adam Funk
Last first. That way you can take any card and boot any pi - theoretically anyway.
The packages, as I understand it, are upgraded whenever there is a change to any of the three 'trees'. There is a beta test tree as well as stable and crucial.
Reply to
ray carter
Well, I recently upgraded my server by moving the card & external hard drive from a Pi 2 to a 4: it booted up & everything worked the first time.
That makes sense --- thanks.
--
World War III has been happening for years now.  Everyone?s
just too busy watching the commercials to notice.