rpi-eeprom packages are upgraded but firmware doesn't change?

I've noticed this several times recently:

$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt dist-upgrade ... The following packages will be upgraded: rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images ... [I tell it yes]

$ sudo rpi-eeprom-update BCM2711 detected BOOTLOADER: up-to-date CURRENT: Tue 10 Sep 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110) LATEST: Tue 10 Sep 10:41:50 UTC 2019 (1568112110) FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical VL805: up-to-date CURRENT: 000137ad LATEST: 000137ad

I'm just curious --- why are the packages being upgraded if the content that goes in the bootloader and VL805 doesn't need to be changed?

Also, I've noticed that these packages are now automatically being included and upgraded on my Pi 0W --- I assume they are just ignored by anything other than a model 4?

--
If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don?t have to
worry about the answers.                         ---Thomas Pynchon

Last first. That way you can take any card and boot any pi - theoretically anyway.

The packages, as I understand it, are upgraded whenever there is a change to any of the three 'trees'. There is a beta test tree as well as stable and crucial.

Reply to
ray carter

Well, I recently upgraded my server by moving the card & external hard drive from a Pi 2 to a 4: it booted up & everything worked the first time.

That makes sense --- thanks.

--
World War III has been happening for years now.  Everyone?s
just too busy watching the commercials to notice.