Re: How does Pi get its t

-=> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote to Dr. What <=-

AAS> I'd like to see details - the CP/M-86 filesystem on the ACT AAS> Sirius I used didn't have one.

I'm trying to see if I can find that information, but I'm coming up empty. Maybe I'm thinking about DRI's offerings much later (like DR DOS).

AAS> IIRC they came into MS-DOS along with hard disc support in AAS> 2.0.

I ran into that while restoring a Sperry portable PC. I found the original DOS for it and used that for the CF card "hard drive". Setting that up was "interesting" in DOS 2.x to say the least.

AAS> Heirarchial filesystems go back a *long* way, there are papers AAS> from the late 1950s but Multics is generally considered to have had the AAS> first full blown version.

Oh, ya. Even systems like IBM MVS supported something like that. So the idea wasn't new.

But if you think about the time frame, it was mostly floppy drive systems. Subdirectories don't become really useful until hard drives are relatively common.

I'm just imagining what it would be like to use a Kaypro 10 (with the hard drive) without subdirectories and that's certainly a different way of thinking.

... How do women get minks? Same way minks get minks ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Reply to
Ron Lauzon

Hello Ron!

Monday February 14 2022 08:22, you wrote to Ahem A Rivet's Shot:

Many of the CPM (and MPM) processes came from Digital PDP systems such as PIP. I suspect that includes much of it but by memory is no longer up to it despite having the CPM manual sitting on my system some where along with possible copies of the s/w.

I owned a company M.P.I (Microcomputer Products International) that distributed these products around the world outside of the USA at least until MSDOS became dominant in the early 80's followed by Windows 3.1 (earlier versions where not sold as where considered too buggy or poor in functionality). This was along side many of the software applications that run on it. The company was around from 75 to 85.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:22:30 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f383.n.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Lauzon) declaimed the following:

Extracting from some old books (Microprocessor Operating Systems, vols. I-III; John Zarrella, 1981-1984 Microcomputer Applications)

(<user#> separates "private" files by user; I'm guessing <catalog> is a layer of directories) ZRTS: "multi-level directories", no example path shown CP/M: single level; max drive 8M (larger drives are split into "logical drives") CP/M-86: same IDRIS: see UNIX I/OS: CP/M compatible MP/AOS: see MP/OS Multiuser OASIS: apparently single-level directory OASIS-16: "two-level directory", second level appears to be "library" structure... appears to use "." as separator ZEUS: (Zilog Enhanced UNIX System) see UNIX Concurrent CP/M: <drive:>8.3<;password>

16 logical directories identified by user number, but physically just a single directory MS-DOS: tree-structured directory, uses "\" for path separator MSP: single-level PICK: very weird four-level scheme SYSTEM defines users and disk location Master Dictionary: defines files (and verbs) per user Dictionary: defines fields in data files Data p-System: standard file system - single level directory (with option for second /duplicate/ directory -- to allow recovery of "deleted" files); as I recall, the system only allows one open /output/ file per drive, as files are contiguous, and opening for output claims the largest contiguous free space (requires periodic packing of files) advanced file system -- for large devices, uses UNIX-like path RM/COS: tree-structured directory, users "." for path separator SuperDOS: No actual example path; <drive> <usergroup#> <filename>

files are contiguous and max size must be declared when created TurboDOS: CP/M compatible

-=-=-

From personal experience:

LS-DOS/TRS-DOS6: single level directory; path names 8/3<.password>:<drv#>

would scan multiple drives to find file, and for output would skip write-protected drives to find first writable media (made it easy to use a write-protected system drive with writable data drive)

AmigaOS: tree-structured directory; "/" path separator <dvl:>name/name/... dvl => device name: df0 floppy-0 dh0 harddrive-0 hd0 harddrive-0 (depending on driver) volume name: whatever logical name: whatever (logical names created via command ASSIGN lname: pathname NOT symlink or environment variable, closer to VMS logical names)

Well -- it wouldn't be with today's applications <G>

How much stuff could you fit on a 5-10 MB hard-drive... Granted, back then, the entire OS and support would fit on a 360kB (or less) floppy.

Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber